Colorado Rapids is looking for an energetic, engaged, innovative, and highly organized strength and conditioning coach. They will be directly responsible for facilitating the strength and conditioning training programs for athletes. This includes working closely with the Head of Performance to develop individualized exercise routines and nutritional intake strategies as well as supervising all weight training sessions and tracking athlete progress and adjusting exercise plans accordingly. Important to this role is the ability to work within a multidisciplinary team and utilize objective data to help inform the training and decision-making process. GENERAL PURPOSE
Colorado Rapids is looking for an energetic, engaged, innovative, and highly organized strength and conditioning coach. They will be directly responsible for facilitating the strength and conditioning training programs for athletes. This includes working closely with the Head of Performance to develop individualized exercise routines and nutritional intake strategies as well as supervising all weight training sessions and tracking athlete progress and adjusting exercise plans accordingly. Important to this role is the ability to work within a multidisciplinary team and utilize objective data to help inform the training and decision-making process.
- Design and administer individualized pre-training activation/injury-prevention protocols based on evidence-based evaluations as well as the players injury history.
- Perform activation/regeneration sessions as needed.
- Implement an Athlete Education Program including but not limited to recovery, nutrition, strength training, sleep and injury prevention.
- Design and execute periodized training plans in the weight room that use technology and data to help best prepare athletes to reach their potential.
- Provide individualized and injury-specific return to play (RTP) protocols that allows each athlete to progress safely back to full training as quickly as possible.
- Serve as a primary connector of the medical and performance departments especially during the rehab and return-to-play process.
- In the RTP process it will be important that the candidate is able to communicate and work closely with the medical staff to create a holistic program for the injured athlete, and also needs to be up to date on the most recent research pertaining to the most common injuries in soccer including hamstring, groin, etc.
- Run all the GPS/HR monitoring systems which includes live monitoring, downloading data and creating post training reports.
- Participate in daily, weekly, session planning/organization
- Attend all important team/staff meetings
- Create an individualized athlete profiles consisting of data gathered from GPS/Heart Rate system, weight room activities, on field performance (games), and testing results (FMS, Lactate Testing, strength testing, etc.).
- Provide at home training programs for those not traveling, injured, or during cancelled session (due to weather).
- Travel with the First Team when necessary.
- Provide daily performance reports following each training sessions to Head of Performance
- Coordinate lunch menus with caterer that includes nutrient dense meals after each training session.
- Running general maintenance on technologies and liaising with technology companies to keep software and hardware up to date and to coordinate getting replacement equipment when needed.
- Keep the performance and sports medicine areas clean and tidy.
- Will need to be integral in helping to build processes and infrastructure around the performance and medical departments to improve the efficiency in how the staff is able to operate.
Knowledge, Skill and Ability:
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform the following duties at an optimal level. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions:
- CSCS, NASM-PES, or equivalent certification is preferred.
- First Aid/CPR certification required.
- Must have experience using technologies such as Catapult GPS, HR monitors, Nordbord, kBox Fly Wheel system, Omegawave, Excel, Tableau, R-studio, etc.
- It is preferred that the candidate has knowledge of the Postural Restoration Institute, Functional Range Conditioning, FMS, Tactical Periodization, data analysis, dynamic systems theory and soccer specific fitness concepts.
- Individual must demonstrate professionalism, punctuality, and exhibit proper ethical behavior.
- Excellent interpersonal and oral communication skills and the ability to work with a diverse group of individuals.
- Must possess the ability to adapt to unpredictable circumstances and handle a highly demanding work environment.
Education or Formal Training:
This individual must possess a minimum of a B.S. in Exercise Science, Kinesiology, or other equivalent field. A Masters in Sports Science, Exercise Science or equivalent is preferred. Previous experience with a collegiate or professional soccer team is highly recommended.
- Preferred minimum of 2 years working in a professional soccer organization.
- Preferred soccer background – coaching, playing, etc.
- Preferred experience using Excel and doing some basic statistical analysis.
Material and Equipment Used:
- Gym equipment including weights, dumbbells, treadmills, bikes, etc.
- Technologies such as GPS, Heart Rate monitors, velocity-based training devices, etc.
- General office equipment including copier, fax, phone, computer/keyboard, etc.
- Company vehicles.
Working Environment/Physical Activities:
This position functions primarily at Dick's Sporting Goods Park and the surrounding practice fields in Commerce City, Colorado. This individual will be required to occasionally drive to off-site meetings and other functions. Some out of town travel may be required. Given the nature of this job, the individual must be able to work during the evenings and weekends when needed. Because this job has a significant physical component the candidate should be prepared to spend at least half their day on their feet, deal with outside weather conditions and move/lift objects that may weigh 50 to 100lbs or more.
To apply please email Head of Sports Science: Chad Kolarcik Chad.Kolarcik@ColoradoRapids.com