Posts by James Anderson

PRI Integration for Baseball (Glendale Arizona) - Camelback Ranch in Glendale Arizona was the site of this year's PRI Integration for Baseball course and it was a beautiful setting and a great course. Jimmy Southard, ATC was an excellent host. He took the extra time and energy to make sure everyone felt welcome and had everything they needed during both days of the course. I was grateful to have been able to co-teach this course again with Ben Hagar, PT, PRC. Ben is an excellent instructor that not only cares about getting it right, but makes sure questions are answered in such a way that course attendees get the most benefit from the discussion. We also appreciated having Kris Naig, PT, PRC with us to help out during lab as a lab assistant.

Roughly 1/3 of the class were first timers at a PRI course and I loved having the interaction with such a fresh group. First and foremost, we respect and appreciate that so many new professionals were willing to invest their time and resources into learning about the science of Postural Restoration. The first half of the first day was completely devoted to properly introducing fundamental principles and concepts to this new audience so we were all on the same page as we moved forward into the performance component of the material. We discussed human respiratory asymmetry, the patterns associated with this asymmetrical respiratory drive and how these patterns relate to phases in the gait cycle. We further discussed appropriate ways to minimize these patterns so movement pathways become unrestricted for baseball performance.

Then Ben moved the group into an interactive discussion around phases of early and late throwing mechanics, complete with a breakdown of slow motion video for each component of throwing. After bringing the group up to speed on the desired movement outcome for each phase of throwing, Ben was able to highlight compensatory movement tendencies for both right and left handed throwers because of the L AIC/R BC pattern. His mechanical breakdown of the throwing sequence was further expanded to include reciprocal movement assessment of the wrist, forearm, elbow and shoulder in three dimensions. These patterned considerations were also applied to early and late hitting mechanics to end the afternoon session on day 1.

Day 2 was all about thoracic performance, objective testing and treatments for Superior T4 Syndrome, a common presentation in baseball. I started the morning discussion with right vs left sided considerations for the abdominal wall, lower trapezius and serratus anterior. I also went into the rotational considerations across the axial skeleton for a R BC athlete vs a Superior T4 Syndrome athlete and discussed limitations with rotation commonly seen both before and after addressing the L AIC/R BC pattern. Ben then took over and guided the group through lecture and lab for the 3 baseball specific performance tests used in this course. It was nice to go through the testing process together in each of the lab groups and to take the time to analyze the testing results and to begin to make treatment decisions. He then took the testing information into a discussion of treatment and focused on the baseball athlete with Superior T4 Syndrome.

It was encouraging for the class to stay so focused on this particular category of rotational overhead athlete for a couple of reasons: First, because such a high percentage of baseball players develop Superior T4 Syndrome and second, because a full correction of Superior T4 Syndrome patterned and non-patterned rotational limitations corrects so many other things, for both right and left handed athletes. After learning and practicing these treatment techniques together in lab groups, Ben finished the second day outlining training considerations for both a right and left hander during stride to cocking and during acceleration to follow through. A welcome compliment to the detailed throwing analysis completed with all the slow motion video on day one. Overall, a great course with a great group of baseball professionals, that certainly helped all of us become better at what we seek to be good at.

Posted November 27, 2018 at 10:23PM
Categories: Courses

Impingement and Instability (Lima, Ohio)- Enjoyed my first trip to the historic city of Lima in Northwest Ohio and it was a fun interesting weekend. Thank you to Alex Maag, DPT, PRC for your generosity as our host site coordinator and to the entire Lima Memorial Hospital rehab team for making the visit such a nice one.

I learned some cool things about Lima Ohio, before even getting there. Several people who knew I was going to Lima had the same question for me, "while you are there, are you gonna go to Kewpee Burger?" I didn't know much about it, but enough people asked me about it and shared their enthusiasm for the place, I knew I had to visit the historic burger joint while in town (twice :). I learned the small burger chain began in Flint Michigan in 1923 and it was named after the Kewpee Doll, originally being called the "Kewpee Motel Hamburg". The burgers were square and tasted a lot like a Wendy's hamburger and they were offered with chocolate shakes that tasted a lot like a Wendy's Frosty. C'mon Dave Thomas (headquartered in nearby Columbus), come clean and acknowledge that your great idea for a burger chain may not have been that original. And to Kewpee Burger, thank you for all the great innovative ideas and for your tasty offerings.

Impingement and Instability, ... speaking of innovative ideas and useful offerings. In this case the innovation and usefulness was designed for the world of rehabilitation and performance medicine. I have been grateful to Ron Hruska for putting this body of work together since i first had exposure to the material back in 2004 (the first formal I & I course was actually taught in 2007) and I appreciate the honor he has given me to teach it. It is the course that keeps on giving. I have attended and taught this course more than probably anybody else, except maybe Mike Cantrell, MPT, PRC and I learn something new each time I teach it. I can't believe how truly innovative this material was 14 years ago when I was first exposed to it and it continues to challenge and impress me to this day.

The course is all about neurological awareness and sense of three things: 1) breath, 2) body position and 3) upright frontal plane control of center of gravity in space. When you lose these senses and/or the neurological awareness of these senses, instability can emerge in several different areas. This course goes over the neurological reference centers needed to minimize instability at the calcaneus, femur, ilium and scapula. The course then goes on to provide treatment recommendations for stabilization of the foot and ankle, tibia, femur, ilium and scapula, designed to be superimposed on top of the good preliminary work of AF and TS repositioning and stabilization, learned in PRI's introductory courses. Thank you Ron for an awesome body of work that continues to challenge and inspire.

Posted November 13, 2018 at 9:08PM

Grateful to be able to teach Postural Respiration this last weekend in Lincoln at the Postural Restoration Institute. Especially grateful that Ron was not traveling this week and that he was able to join me for the presentation. It reminded me of the early years of PRI when Ron brought me along to co-teach with him as he mentored me. I remember him taking the lead in those early courses and letting me chime in as I became more knowledgeable and confident. It was truly an honor this time around for me this be able to take the lead and to have Ron there to chime in to support what I was saying. Truly humbling and also very fun.

Besides getting to teach with Ron again, it was a cool weekend blending old relationships with new ones. I got to see Tim Newman, a neuromuscularly minded LMT I have known since the early 2000’s. It was also fun to see Tricia Athans, PT, PRC from Sandhills Sports Performance in North Carolina and Michelle Spicka, DPT, of Husker Rehabilitation and Wellness Center in Lincoln. Thanks for your support Michelle and for bringing 4 of your co-workers. Also appreciate Nick and Travis at Athletes Performance Center in Omaha for sending 5 members of your physical therapy team. Great to have them all there with us.

And thank you to a new friend, Nick Monzu, who was very generous serving as the demo for non-manual and manual techniques to give people insights on how the treatments look and “feel”. Also fun to have Lori Thompson, MPT, PRC in the house to support the class as a lab assistant and to make things better just because she was there. I always learn a lot when I listen to, learn from and have the opportunity to share with Lori.

The content of this Postural Respiration course provides an opportunity to delve into fundamental PRI concepts and explore both non-manual and manual treatments for thoraco abdominal patterns and patho-mechanics. Concepts like the ability to sense a respiratory breath from both sides of the diaphragm, the ability to achieve posterior mediastinal expansion sense on the left side and properly sequenced apical expansion on the right side were explored on both days. The power of a properly postured diaphragmic breath, the respiratory pause and use of lateralized airflow training to minimize patterned airflow were also discussed. Having Ron in attendance allowed clarification on all the principles being discussed and connection to the many research articles referenced throughout this manual, with the prospective of the institute’s founder.

Posted November 2, 2018 at 5:26PM

PRI Integration for Geriatrics (Minneapolis, MN)- An awesome weekend in the Twin Cities of Minnesota with the great team at IMPACT Physical Medicine and their course coordinator, Christie Amundson, PT, DPT, HFS, PRC. Their owner, Mr. Stan Babel is a long-time friend of mine and both a gentlemen and a scholar, simply stated. I have been fortunate enough to work with their clinic over the last 17-18 years teaching and consulting and Stan has always treated me with the upmost kindness and respect (and for the record, he takes me to the best restaurants in St. Paul). This weekend reminded me of all my friendships over the years within this organization and the many memories I've been able to make over the different generations of IMPACT employees during this time. A big thanks to all of you, past and present.

There were a lot of great people from the Midwest in attendance, and I want to thank my two lab assistants, Christie Amundson, PT, DPT, HFS, PRC and Tom Tardiff, PT, DPT, CSCS, PRC for helping make the experience great for the class. You two were very helpful. Beyond all the great Minnesota people in attendance, I was especially appreciative of Matt Rosenboom, OT, for traveling all the way from New York City. I appreciate Matt for a couple of reasons, first because he was willing to travel away from the large coastal cities to attend a course like this in the Midwest, secondly, because he is an Occupational Therapist, and lastly, I love that he has already created collaborative learning with a hand full of PRI experienced people, including an old Protege of mine, Minh Nguyen, OT, PRC.

I highlight the fact that Matt is an OT, because this course has Occupational Therapy written all over it. Besides Matt, there were 9 other Occupational Therapists in attendance and the Physical Therapists got to take time to explore the world of OT, not the other way around. This is meaningful for us because PRI has always been a big fan of interdisciplinary work and appreciating everybody's contribution to the "whole" team. The "Gerald" handout of patterned and preferred "Functional Routines" we discussed on the second day really sums up the functional objectives of this course and helps make the material very practical.

This course has been a gem to share over the last 5 years, especially since completing the updates to the techniques section 2 years ago. People continue to love the exercise appendix, organized into bed, recliner, chair, transfer and standing sections. A couple of you have seen both versions of this course and provided us some valuable feedback on the updates. Thank you in particular, Stephanie Boespfug, PTA, PRC for your valuable insights and the positive feedback on how these new updates have helped you with clinical application working with Geriatrics. It was fun to have you there with us again.

Another reason this course is so fun to present is that it serves as a great introduction to the science of PRI and helps connect people to our fundamental concepts in a simple and non-confusing way. One course attendee wrote, "as a more experienced PRI clinician, I appreciated the amount I still learned exploring basic PRI concepts in this course." Another attendee from last weekend reported, "I am excited to get back to using PRI. I feel like I had stopped, but this course pulled some pieces together for me that I was definitely missing. Thank you." Another course attendee wrote, "Overall, one of the best courses I've been to. Great clinical application for all clinicians working with Geriatrics, not just home health. Pleasantly surprised with my ability to apply this in an outpatient setting. Thank you."

Posted October 22, 2018 at 7:24PM

Impingement and Instability (Everett Washington) - A beautiful weekend exploring PRI's secondary level course Impingement and Instability in the northern corridor of the Greater Seattle Area with the good folks at ATI in Everett. A big thank you to Alexa Degel, DPT for handling all the host site coordination issues and making sure I had all that I needed to pull off a great presentation. Your extra effort throughout the weekend made all the difference and was greatly appreciated.

I would like to take the time to thank two attendees who traveled all the way from Singapore, Malaysia and one attendee who traveled all the way from Seoul, South Korea to be with us. David Lee, Wee Ho Lim and JangKeun Kye, you have my respect and appreciation for traveling so far to be with us. Two of the three attended as a direct result of an early trip Ron Hruska made to Seoul back in 2008. JangKeun, thanks for your pioneering spirit and for inviting your friend David to learn about PRI by traveling to America.

And thank you Wee, for exploring the science of PRI and beginning your journey online (including through PRI home study courses), and now by attending actual live courses. I appreciate you being the demo for lateralized respiratory and airflow patterns and showing us how some of the techniques look when carried out with full respect for diaphragm dynamics. It was cool to see your amazement when your right HGIR and left Hor Shoulder Abd was restored to full and equal and full rotation was restored to your neck, after those same measures have not been fully restored at any time in the past. It was also fun to see how surprised you were when an old man (me), was able to drop into a full range of motion overhead squat right in front of you. You made me smile when you said, "I didn't see that coming".

As a class, we learned how to go through a valuable check list of neurological reference centers ("brain"), lateralized performance criteria ("lane") and respiratory performance issues ("breathing"). The autonomic nervous system was very responsive to the brain, lane and breathing approach to balancing axial performance as we worked to minimize instability across the calcaneus, femurs, ilia and scapula. As I noted at the beginning of the course, this Institute is appreciative of each one of you and your journey to get through the introductory coursework and get to this point. I hope you found the journey well worth the effort and felt rewarded by your secondary level coursework experience.

Posted September 28, 2018 at 7:11PM

Myokinemetic Restoration (Covington, LA) - Glad to be in the Bayou State. This weekend, I taught PRI's first course in the great state of Louisiana. Ron and Mike have both consulted and taught private course offerings in Louisiana in the past, but this was our first formal course open to the general public and it was a great experience.

Thank you Chris and Karlie McDougall at Renew Physical Therapy in Covington for hosting and making sure the experience was fun for everyone. Thanks for inviting your staff and also for inviting a local orthopedic surgeon, Dr. Joey Bonvillain. Our course was better because he stopped in. Your passion for neurology, respiration and biomechanics is palpable and you're helping to spread the news across Southern Louisiana by starting to host PRI courses at your facility.

You guys made everyone feel welcome and you also gave me some top notch recommendations for food and entertainment. Your recommendation to go to the annual White Linen Art Festival in downtown Covington was a great idea for my Saturday Night entertainment and I loved it.

And thanks for introducing me to Cajun seasoned Oysters on the Half Shell, those perfectly spiced Boudin Balls, Crayfish and Fried Alligator. I fell in love with The Chimes and called it my new favorite restaurant, until I realized most all the food in Southern Louisiana tasted that good. And the Pralines you gifted me from the French Quarter Candy Market, forget about it, I'm all in.

Dave Giardina is an Athletic Trainer and Therapist on the Renew team who actually was Chris McDougall's little league baseball coach. Dave, it was great to have you there, for more than one reason. First, you are seasoned enough to get my jokes, smiling and laughing when some of the younger clinicians look at me like I just said something totally out there. But mostly because your comments and questions were so valuable and your example of being a lifelong learner inspired us all. Thanks for being you Dave.

Also thanks to our model patient, Allison Roux, who helped demonstrate the exercise progressions for the class with growing confidence. Thanks for your questions, but mostly for your feedback to the group on how the exercises felt to you. You and I are the same age and when you said your left hip stopped clicking and felt secure after literally clicking every day since you were 19 years old, you made me stop and think about how many steps I've taken since I was 19 and what a frustration that might have been. The concept of "Ligamentous Muscle", as taught in this Myokinematic Restoration course can truly be life changing. Thanks for reminding me of that fact and helping the rest of the class realize how powerful it can be when applied correctly.

And thank you Jeff Bangs for bringing your enthusiasm to the class and your helpful insights as an Athletic Trainer in professional sports. Thank you to your mentor and my friend Navin Hettiarachchi for recommending that you come to this course and for being such an inspirational leader for everyone on the Wizards staff. And so you know Jeff, I did follow up with Navin and he confirmed that you did indeed gave him that big hug I requested you give him from me. Thanks for following through on that. You're a great young talent with an obvious passion for continued learning and you're going to go far.

Posted August 23, 2018 at 4:27PM

Northeastern University hosted another wonderful weekend on their beautiful campus in the south end of Boston. Grateful to have such awesome hosts as we were honored to present our secondary level course, Impingement and Instability, to a wonderful group of professionals from several disciplines. Nate Bocko, Michelle Boland, Mike Anderson, Justin Parent, Dan Sanzo and Dan Adamietz, you guys were first class and represented Northeastern Sports Medicine very well. Your support for the science of PRI is appreciated and means a lot. Loved the discussion about athletic training and strength and conditioning application in collegiate athletics. Thank you for your willing participation throughout the weekend.

And thank you to Hannes Bartz, a motivated Physiotherapist who traveled all the way from Germany to attend this class. Awesome to have you there with us. As an American, I have never traveled to Europe to participate in continuing education, so I always tip my hat to professionals who make this kind of a commitment to be with us. Thank you for being such an attentive student, listening to and asking really good questions in a second language. Sorry I didn't know more Deutsch. Your candid and honest approach to learning was both refreshing and humorous.

It was also really cool to have 4 PRCs in attendance (including myself). Thank you Donna Behr, Anita Furbush and Karen Taylor-Soiles for adding your experience and insights to the course experience. And special thanks to you Donna Behr, for your past presentations to the sports performance staff at Harvard University. Were it not for your mentoring mentality, we may not have had Yumi Kuscher and Andrei Tarsici in attendance from the Athletic Training Staff at Harvard. Where would we be without all of Andrei's great questions? And sorry I kept calling you Andrew for the entire first half of the first day Andrei. Your questions were great.

The class established some powerful themes the first day that we were able to maintain throughout both days to help provide more clarity with clinical application. Neurology, frontal plane Lateralization and the management of hemispheric performance during rotational activities. Thank you guys for working with my analogy of getting ticketed on Tropicana and Las Vegas Boulevard when I was a young student at UNLV. For those of you who did not attend the course, I can't say anymore than that. You know what they say about "What happens in Vegas,...".

I really loved the comments from so many of you stating that this course really opened up key application principles of PRI, beyond just the basics of the 3 introductory courses. Its great to re-look at all 3 of those courses with a different set of lenses, figuratively and literally. The complexity of PRI really does start to become simple when hemispheric lateralization and the autonomic nervous system are fully respected.

Posted June 14, 2018 at 1:44PM

We had a fantastic weekend at Pilates Central presenting the second ever PRI Integration for Pilates course to a stellar audience that brought a fun and energetic vibe. I really love presenting a two day course with 2 other faculty members because we can showcase each other's strengths in a complementary way and it increases the likelihood of course attendees connecting personally with one or more of the presenters. Donna Parise Byrne and Sarah Petrich are two professionals that bring a strong combination of experience and ability to the table and the course attendees just love them.

We welcomed a dynamic group of physical therapists, pilates instructors, strength and conditioning professionals, athletic trainers, massage therapists, personal trainers and students. Thank you Jenny LaForest, for bringing your interest in pediatrics all the way from Missoula MT, and Danny Jackowicz, for bringing your interest in performance training all the way from Erie PA. When people who are not in the world of Pilates realize that adding Pilates can powerfully enhance what they do, its awesome. Thank you Glenna Nall, for being a competitive olympic lifter who appreciates the value of breathing and proper core integration, and Mark Cibrario, a personal trainer who still plays high level baseball with athletes 25-30 years younger than he is and doesn't miss a beat. I love it when our attendees really put the principles we teach to work in their lives to enhance body durability and career longevity.

I also wanted to thank Deb and Angel Giordano, the dynamic mother daughter team that brought so much to the weekend. Deb, I know you have a long history with Donna and Pilates Central. Thanks for bringing Angel, because her questions were so helpful to the flow of the class and definitely made the experience better for the rest of the class. It was also special to have Elizabeth Hodges attending this course. She is the one and only PRI Integration for Pilates model for all of our exercise techniques. Her contributions to the manual will continue to bless others for a long time into the future. Thank you Elizabeth and thank you for coming.

Speaking of the PRI Integration for Pilates exercise techniques, I just love what the reformer and the chair allow us to do in terms of creativity, adaptability and successful delivery of muscle and movement integration. I mean, where else does Supine Left Stance with Right Rectus Femoris and Sartorius become Left Leg Footwork Right Develope, Supine Supported 90-90 Synchronized Resisted Glute Max become Butterfly Breathing Thighs in Loops, Supine Supported Thoracic Inhibition with Serratus Reach become Feet in Loops Reach, Paraspinal Release with Left Hamstrings become Seated Gymnast Prep, Standing Left AFIR with Right Glute Max become Left Stance Scooter, Standing Left AFIR with Right Abduction become Speed Skater and Standing Left Posterior Mediastinal Expansion with Alternating Weight Shift become Standing Walking Elephant? I could go on, but you get the idea.

Please consider joining us for one of our upcoming courses this year in Albany NY, Minneapolis, MN or Novato, CA.

Posted April 16, 2018 at 2:44PM

PRI Integration for Geriatrics - Salem Oregon. Jacob Mullin and his growing team at First Call were very generous hosts for yet another PRI course. Old familiar faces like Ben, Mellet, Eric and John welcomed me back again after being a part of the 6 or 7 year training history with this organization. I am grateful that I have had the long term opportunity to learn so much with and from such a great group of passionate professionals. I love getting together with you guys because I know we are always going to laugh, learn and grow together.

A big thank you to Tracey Blain for coming all the way from Anchorage, Alaska and to Valerie Chai for coming all the way from Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. Yes, Malaysia. Your commitment to learning gave the rest of us perspective as we selfishly considered how hard it might have been for us to get up out of bed and drive across town to attend this course. And thank you Tracey for being an excellent example for the rest of the class as you demonstrated one of my all-time favorite techniques, appendix page 13. Gotta love the concept of going right to "get left" as opposed to going left to "get left".

The new course title was a big hit for this group. The recent change to include the word "Geriatric" in the title and the words "Immobile, Frail and Chronic" in the subtitle really connected for the class. Many examples of using the material for immobile, frail or chronic populations were discussed and the adaptations made really good sense to the group. Loved all the integrated discussion and the constant reference to elements of and phases of the gait cycle. It was exciting for me to have such detailed biomechanical discussions about such frail, immobile or geriatric populations.

Michael Ball, PT, PRC was one of the lab assistants and he had a really good experience with this affiliate course material. After diving into the course and assisting with the new tests and techniques, he reported, "This course goes well beyond just treating geriatric populations. The appendix is filled with so many great integrated techniques. I now have more techniques to help my patients that may not be able to tolerate traditional PRI training. The seated assessment techniques were very useful in integrating all components of the gait cycle." Thank you Michael and thank you Mellet. I couldn't have asked for 2 more capable and willing lab assistants. The class was better because of you two. And thank you to everyone in attendance for such great questions and feedback throughout the course. The group based dialogue we enjoyed and the restates of key concepts throughout the course really enhanced what we all learned and were able to take home from this course. Until my next trip to beautiful Salem Oregon.

Posted January 19, 2018 at 9:26PM

PRI Integration for Baseball (Phoenix Arizona) Another first class weekend at the Salt River Fields in Scottsdale Arizona teaching PRI Integration for Baseball with Ben Hagar, DPT, CSCS, PRC. A big thank you to the entire Diamondbacks staff for hosting a great event and making sure we had everything that we needed. Guys like Ryne Eubanks, ATC, Max Esposito, PT, ATC, and Joe Rosauer, MS, ATC were always a step ahead of us providing the necessary set up, food and drinks and the lab equipment we needed. Thanks guys. And thank you to Taylor Lewis, CSCS, PRT for serving as our lab assistant throughout the weekend.

It was great to connect with some old friends and colleagues from my days living and working in Omaha, Mike Bartels, PT, PRC and Eric Pinkall, PT, PRC. Also great to see my PRC classmate and longtime friend from Minneapolis, Karen Jiran, MPT, ATC, PRC and to have her colleague Libby Lostetter, DPT, PRC attend with her. It was great to see some PRI regulars like Kim Hart, DPT, Keisuke Kanno, DPT, CSCS, and Brian Benjamin, DPT and also to get the opportunity to meet some new professionals like Jonathan Erb, PT, Hiroko Sato, ATC, Lilly Baker-Lubin, BASI, DNSET, MS and Terry Phillips, DPT. You guys were all fantastic additions to a great group and a great course.

After introducing the class to the science of PRI and the patterned human body, Ben took over and went into the fundamentals of early phase and late phase throwing mechanics. He broke down the ideal mechanics for optimal performance and compared each phase of throwing to a phase of the gait cycle. He then used slow motion video analysis and the mechanical movement charts in the course manual to break down throwing dysfunction. He did the same thing for hitting mechanics and compared right handed player issues to left handed player issues.

On the second day Ben introduced the three baseball performance tests, quadruped, sitting and standing. The lab experience allowed each attendee to get a good feel for the components of movement being tested with each test. We then then teamed up to break down the three thoracic rotational patterns and treatment recommendations for each. The treatment lab was heavily focused on Superior T4 Syndrome because of its high frequency in baseball athletes. The end of the course outlined training recommendations for early and late phase throwing for both right and left handed players. Another really great weekend integrating PRI with all things baseball.

Posted November 27, 2017 at 9:38PM
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Last

Products

CD Bundles
Non-manual Techniques
Manual Techniques DVD
Manual Techniques
Illustrations
PRIVY
PRI Video for You