Posts by James Anderson

It was a beautiful early fall weekend in Palo Alto, California teaching Impingement and Instability to an awesome group of rehabilitation, strength & conditioning, athletic training and movement professionals. Thank you to our host Chris Gaines, CSCS, CES, PES and the super team at Performance Gaines for your hospitality and professionalism throughout the weekend. You have a beautiful facility and it’s always great to get to spend time with you guys. Really appreciate all the extra work by Dan Hafner, CSCS to make sure we felt welcome and had everything we needed.

This course was chock-full of amazing professionals with a wide variety of backgrounds and experience. I wish I could thank each one of you for your contributions to the course. It was nice to have Carol Cahn, PT, PRC, Caleb Chiu, CSCS, PRT, Tim Dempsey, CSCS, CPT, PRT and Dan Houglum, MSPT, ATC, PRC in attendance as Certified PRI Professionals to learn more about the science and its application in this secondary level course. I also really appreciated having Takashi Mita, ATC and Yusuke Namba, ATC in the course all the way from Tokyo, Japan. It means a lot to our institute that you would be willing to travel so far to further study the PRI science.

Impingement and Instability provides the opportunity to delve deeper into powerful PRI concepts like Lateralization and Esthesiology. Hemispheric lateralization during upright performance is one of the chief contributors to the various instabilities that occur throughout the body. To study calcaneal, femoral, ilial and scapular instabilities from a lateralization stand point based on right vs left respiratory, neurological awareness and muscle tone influences is a paradigm shift for most. It’s a big part of what defines PRI, but something we are only able to briefly touch upon in our introductory courses.

This group did a great job grasping these underlying causes of regional and systemic instabilities across all parts of the body. I really appreciate Will Waterman, DPT, COMT, CSCS for being such a willing volunteer for so many of our demonstrations and examples. You promoted a positive learning experience for the entire class and helped us appreciate some of the finer points of technique cuing to make sure some of these more advanced PRI concepts are respected throughout treatment. Your commitment to getting things right was really representative of the overall course attitude and a big part of what made this course so enjoyable to teach. Thank you Will and thank you everyone! I look forward to seeing continued growth and advancement in all of you.

And lastly, I'd like to thank my friend and fellow PRI faculty member Dan Houglum for allowing me to share a part of his family's holiday with them in Palo Alto. I enjoyed meeting your wife Becki and your daughter Ella and getting to enjoy the Stanford UCLA football game together on Saturday evening. I've known Dan for years and have been grateful to be one of his mentors, but have not met his family until this weekend. Its always great to meet and get to know the people behind the scenes in your life, because they are really the ones who make you who you are. I think I'll throw in the picture of Ella pulling you out of the Ghiradelli Chocolate machine, because it reminds me of two things, 1) left lateralization and 2) the powerful influence our loved ones have on making us our very best.

Posted October 2, 2017 at 6:57PM
Categories: Courses

Impingement and Instability - (Indianapolis IN). Enjoyed a great weekend in Indianapolis with Bill Hartman and the IFAST crew exploring the secondary level PRI course Impingement and Instability. A big thank you to Bill and his entire staff for making me feel so welcome and for taking such good care of me throughout the weekend.

We started the course with an explanation of lateralization and the physiological and neurological reasons behind the lateralized tendencies seen with the Left AIC/Right BC pattern. We introduced a strong frontal plane approach to calcaneal performance and also to the gait cycle, emphasizing frontal plane ankle and hip strategies to help manage human lateralization.

We moved into a discussion of femoral orientation and compensation patterns that can destabilize the lower kinematic chain and cause problems with the tibial - femoral relationship. We talked about how these patterns can directly cause knee pain and knee dysfunction, and also talked about patterns that don't necessarily cause knee pain, but still need to be properly managed because they often contribute to problems in other areas. Thank you Bill for both your questions and your comments in this regard.

The second day included discussions about ilial instability and scapular instability. The relationship between the iliacus and the glute medius as functional performers for the pelvic inlet to stabilize the ilium in the frontal plane was discussed. As it relates to scapular instabilities, we looked at the frontal plane function of the low trap and compared it to sagittal plane function on both sides. We also evaluated the frontal plane function of the serratus anterior and compared it to the sagittal plane function on both sides. We finished our scapular Instability discussion with demos and overview of subscapularis as a true internal rotator of the shoulder joint once position and proper lateralization was established.

Posted September 26, 2017 at 2:21PM

PRI Integration for Geriatrics - (Chapel Hill, NC) It was an awesome weekend presenting "PRI Integration for Geriatrics" to an awesome group in beautiful North Carolina. As a group, we explored the possibilities of the course's new title and the new subtitle, "Restoring Alternating Function in the Immobile, Frail and Chronic". By the end of the weekend, we had identified a lot of great applications for immobile populations, frail populations and chronic populations across a large spectrum of conditions and age groups. It was eye opening for all of us and a great validation that the course's new name really does reflect who this material is for.

A big thank you to Susan Henning, PT, PRC and her wonderful team at the host site Advance Physical Therapy. She was a great lab assistant and a kind, generous host throughout the weekend. She has assembled a fantastic team of professionals in their dynamic integrated clinic. Thank you Joe Belding, Jean Massé, Lisa Mangino, Shella LoBianco and Beth Elder for being an important part of a great learning weekend. Honestly, to have 4 out of 6 staff members at the host site currently certified in PRI and the other 2 interested in the process of getting certified is very uncommon and even a little intimidating for a presenter with an introductory affiliate course like this. But your feedback confirms that this material was a nice combination of introductory and advanced concepts that challenged you and also rewarded you for being there. I love to be able to connect with and challenge both first time attendees and also experienced PRI clinicians with affiliate course content and all the new assessment and treatment ideas.

This weekend also provided me an opportunity to meet some people from my early PRI faculty days and associate with some of the people they are now able to mentor and influence. Rebecca Williams, PT from Pinehurst, NC, who has incidentally become a good friend of our very own Jen Poulin, reminded me that she attended one of my first ever courses as a PRI faculty back in 2001, a Protonics course in Columbia, SC. That course was also my first opportunity to meet and teach another longstanding PRI contributor and good friend, Kyndy Boyle. Wow, a lot of positive things have happened with this institute since those early days, and mostly because of the people we were fortunate enough to meet along the way. I also met 2 PTAs this weekend who are currently employed by a therapist I first met and taught when she was a student in PT school, Tracy Lyn Schuster, DPT. Madison Blythe and Hailey Parsons, you two did a great job with the material and Tracy Lyn would have been very proud of you. And thank you Madison for suggesting Merritt's Grill for lunch on Saturday. That place could be one of my all time favorite places to eat lunch anywhere in the country.

Lastly, I want to thank my friend JR Glenn for coming over from Columbus Ohio to attend the course and also to help me work through one of the long-standing emotional issues in my life - an inability to get over the hard feelings I have for the 1991 Duke University Men's Basketball Team. I attended UNLV in the early 90s and the 1991 Blue Devils prevented my Running Rebels from being back to back National Champions and I haven't forgiven them for breaking my heart. JR was kind enough to drive me from Chapel Hill across town to Durham to face my unhealed wounds at Duke University. We visited Krzyzewskiville, Cameron Indoor Stadium and then I got to see the 1991 National Championship trophy with my own eyes. After working through the pain of it all and reminding JR that the trophy should not be in a glass case in Durham, but instead in a glass case in Las Vegas, I let go and began the healing process. I'm optimistic about my ability to get over this barrier in my life. I'll definitely keep you posted. Go Rebels!

Posted September 14, 2017 at 9:29PM

We are excited to announce an updated name, course description and course objectives for PRI Integration for Geriatrics. Watch below for more information on why we made the change.

This advanced lecture and lab course is designed to help clinicians restore gait dynamics and functional performance when working with geriatric populations or the immobile, frail or chronic of any age. Participants will gain an appreciation for PRI fundamental principles and the common asymmetrical patterns that can lead to faulty movement, pathomechanics and pain. PRI assessment tests designed specifically for geriatrics and low functioning patients, clients or athletes will be introduced to guide exercise selection, program planning and to monitor progress. Treatment recommendations are designed specifically for geriatric and low functioning populations to help them deliver successful treatment outcomes when traditional PRI positions and activities may not be well tolerated. Respiration and alternating reciprocal movement will be emphasized during program development and lab experiences to help restore ADL function, bed mobility, transfer ability, dynamic balance and gait performance.

Course Objectives

1. Understand the influence of asymmetrical breathing on tri-planer gait dynamics and functional performance.
  2. Recognize the human asymmetrical patterns that can negatively influence alternating reciprocal motion in the bed, recliner, chair and upright positions.
  3. Assess movement dysfunction by breaking down the essential components of early stance, late stance and swing in gait.
  4. Design a functional program using PRI concepts and techniques to restore alternating reciprocal function across the pelvis, thorax and extremities.

Register

Posted August 24, 2017 at 3:30PM

Myokinematic Restoration- (Beaverton Oregon) A beautiful weekend in lush green Beaverton, a southwestern suburb of Portland, one of my favorite cities. A big thank you to Isaac Coward, DPT at ATI Physical Therapy for being such a helpful and gracious host. Also thank you Tina Heiser, PT, PRC for helping me out as lab assistant once again. Its always great to have such a great colleague in attendance in an introductory course like this to assist in the lab and to help answer questions. You were great.

Its so rewarding to have such a diverse group from so many different areas up and down the west coast. Thank you Mayami Oyanagi, MSPT, OCS for coming up from Los Angeles to spend the weekend with us. What's most impressive is that you just returned from traveling all the way to Boston to attend the Pelvis Restoration Course with Jesse Ham, PT, PRC and are so committed to putting it all together. You're doing a great job with things. Thank you Tyler Wall, CSCS, Sarah Pfau, MS, LAT, ATC, CSCS, and Jason Butler, CSCS for following up on your PRI Integration for Fitness and Movement experience by driving down from Kinetic Sports Rehab in Seattle to take this course. I enjoyed eating Mediterranean with you guys and talking shop on Saturday evening. I think we solved a few of the world's problems together.

Thank you Taylor Wade, MS, LAT, ATC for traveling up from Tucson to get insights on how to make Canyon Ranch Health Resort a better place to be. Don't forget to take my advice on the Cafe Poca Cosa. You won't regret it. Thank you John Ursone, MS, ATC, CSCS for coming up from the San Francisco Bay Area to be with us. I think this information will help you better collaborate with our friend Ryan Holleman, M.Ed., LAT, ATC, CES when he gets out west to Santa Clara University. You guys will be a great team. And a big thank you to an old friend Alex De La Paz, PT, DPT, ITPT and his brand new fiancé Kelly Lindstrom, DPT, COMT, CSCS for making sure I had what I needed to make my stay in Beaverton awesome. Congrats on the engagement and yes I think you're right Alex, Kelly is picking up on all of this a lot faster than you did. She's going to be great.

Many people in the course had previously attended the Myokinematic Restoration Course, but were really excited about the changes made last year when the institute updated the course. They thought the new clinical ideas, the updated clinical progressions, the treatment flow sheet and the overall organization of this updated course were really helpful. Thank you to Kelly Lindstrom for being our clinical example to demonstrate treatment for a pathological left hip patient. You picked up on the details of getting your body into left AFIR with properly coordinated left FAIR to build the components of left mid stance as well or better than most first time attendees. Be kind to Mr. Alex when it hurts his feelings that you pick up on the delivery of patient care faster than he did :)

Overall a super weekend with a super group of professionals. I never have enough space to mention everyone I'd like to, but know that it was great having you all there and that we appreciate the sacrifice and effort required to have you in attendance with us.

Posted July 26, 2017 at 6:53PM

Impingement and Instability- It was an honor to present Impingement and Instability at the Professional Hockey Athletic Trainers Society Annual Meeting in Phoenix Arizona this year to a fantastic group of professionals. The group was primed and more than prepared for the transition to secondary level courses after having taken Myokinematic Restoration and Postural Respiration at 2 of the previous annual meetings, both taught by Mike Cantrell, MPT, PRC. I spoke to Matt Bain, ATC when I was in Vermont a few weeks ago and he said the PHATS organization was first class and that I would have a great experience presenting at their conference. Mike also told me that I couldn't find a better group of professionals anywhere to spend my time with, and after our interactions during Impingement and Instability I have to say you both were 100% accurate. This group was chalked full of first class professionals that made me feel like a member of the family as we learned together and talked shop. Thank you everyone for living up to your billing and making me feel so welcome.

On day one, we got into the power and significance of the frontal plane in athletic performance and got to analyze the gait cycle in terms of the frontal plane differences and demands seen in early stance vs the frontal plane differences and demands seen in late stance in the left AIC pattern. This included a detailed comparison of what happens on the right side vs what happens on the left side, because, well...thats what PRI does. And then we expanded this view of gait performance to the hockey athlete to help us better understand skating performance during starts, stops and turns when performing on the right leg and on the left leg. A big thanks to Matt Bain, ATC for helping us get the video footage of hockey performance in good old Gutterson Arena that allowed us to compare both right legged and left legged starts, stops and turns. The opportunity to review slow motion video as a group really helped us bring together the concepts as it related to performance tendencies on ice. If a picture is worth a thousand words, there's no telling what these slow motion videos did for the course attendees. Very helpful.

With a gait analysis mindset, a frontal plane mindset and also a hockey performance mindset, the group was able to move through the Impingement and Instability material with a central theme and focus. The calcaneal instability section was highlighted by a demonstration of gait and footwear that helped us appreciate the footwear recommendations and reference center training a hockey athlete may need when they are not in their skates. The mechanics of a compromised kinematic chain disrupted by poor performance of the calcaneus cannot be overlooked or ignored. Its always good to rethink conventional wisdom and outline the best practice for each individual athlete based on the objective findings of each individual athlete. The demonstration was a good experience for everyone in the group. The rest of day one consisted of discussions and demos on femoral instability. We spent a lot of time as a group analyzing the oriented or compensated rotational issues of the femur and the tibia as it related to knee function and pain. We looked closely at several of the attendees and were able to appreciate what was going on as we came to a group consensus of how their femurs and tibias contributed to their knee instabilities.

Day two consisted of detailed analysis of ilial instability and scapular instability issues. The ilial instability section included discussions around ischial tendinitis, hip instability and hip impingement. We analyzed the right legged vs left legged turns of a giant slalom skier and by this point in the course, we could all see the relationship to both gait and hockey skating. In fact, we even went back and reviewed the slow motion hockey videos after talking about the skiers and were able to connect the dots quite well. The scapular instability section included a comprehensive demo of all manual rib techniques merited for a scapular instability athlete. Thank you Tommy Alva, ATC for letting us use your rib cage for group teaching purposes. You were great. And lastly, it was great to take a deep look at scapular performance muscle issues like the difference between the lat and the subscapularis and the power of the low trap and the serratus anterior to offset overactity of the levator and the upper trap. Fun stuff that took on a new relevance for both the right and left handed hockey athlete. Thanks again PHATS for inviting PRI to your annual party. It was truly our pleasure to be there!

Posted June 23, 2017 at 7:34PM

Impingement and Instability- Great visit to Northwest Vermont to teach Impingement and Instability at the University of Vermont, or UVM, meaning the latin Universitas Veridis Montis (University of the Green Mountains). If you've been to Burlington Vermont, you know why they chose to call it the "University of the Green Mountains", because they are spectacular. I'm from Utah and quite familiar with mountains, but these beautiful Green Mountains rolling into the shoreline of Lake Champlain are something to see. I always enjoy visiting Vermont and this trip was no exception. It was also a neat opportunity to catch up with my nephew Josh, who is currently an engineering student at UVM. I can see why he chose to go to college here and be a Catamount.

Thank you to the Athletic Training staff for hosting and helping to get everything coordinated and set up, especially point man, Matt Bain. Michele Bliss, Lisa Hardy, Neal Sand and Emily Snyder, you were all great as well and made me feel like a welcome guest in your department. I can appreciate the cultural mantra "Catamounts All In" after spending a couple of days with you guys. Loved it. And thank you to Kathy Metzger, Cory Healy and Oliver Hall, three certified PRI Professionals who really did a great job helping the group elevate their understanding of these advanced concepts. The class was better because you three were with us. And Olly, I loved what you took the time to do on the second day, together with Ali Spencer, in helping the group to understand the mechanics of alpine skiing and especially the mechanics of the Giant Slalom high speed turns. Your willingness to share helped us all bring some things together that we may have otherwise missed. As it turns out, just about every athletic performance function can be tied back to the mechanics of gait and postural patterns. Fun stuff. I look forward to future collaborations on the topic and furthering my own understanding of alpine skiing. Thank you Olly and Ali for your contribution.

As far as the class was concerned, we had a great time moving into the realm of PRI advanced assessment and treatment in an effort to expand on the information presented in the introductory courses. During the first day, we had a powerful discussion of how frontal plane dysfunction contributes to lateralization and early stance vs late stance bias during the gait cycle. We discussed the contributing factors behind human lateralization and ways that we could intervene to influence the situation to reverse the tendencies during performance. We discussed neurological reference centers as it related to the gait cycle and of course applied the mechanics of breathing to all of this. We took a good look at calcaneal instability, femoral instability, ilial instability and scapular instability with a gait, frontal plane and reference center perspective.

Lastly, I wanted to thank Matt Bain and Eliana Leddy for sharing your insights on hockey skating and figure skating, respectively. I loved how the two of you took the things I was explaining as it related to right vs left sided gait performance and applied what you knew and personally experienced as ice skate athletes. It was a helpful application of the material that made the experience better for all of us. I'm excited to collaborate further with you Matt to put some of our thoughts down on paper as it relates to the hockey athlete. Thanks for your willingness to learn together with me. And thank you to everybody. Great weekend. Great class.

Posted June 12, 2017 at 9:54PM

Postural Respiration - I had a really nice weekend in St Paul Minnesota with some of the old and new staff from Impact Physical Medicine and Aquatic Center, a long time advocate of PRI education and training. I have had a lot of great experiences at this facility over the years, but I have not been back in at least 2 or 3 years. It was nice to meet the new members of their staff and to see all the positive changes they have experienced with the new design and expansion of their clinic. I was grateful for the support of my lab assistant and long time friend, Curt Johnson, PT, PRC. His assistance explaining the objective tests and guiding the group in the performance of manual techniques was very helpful and appreciated.

We had a diverse group in attendance who individually brought a lot to the table that collectively strengthened the experience of the entire group. I appreciate each one of you taking the time to attend the course and for contributing to the learning experience for the rest of us. Thank you Esther Hill, for traveling all the way from Tulsa Oklahoma to take your first PRI course. It was refreshing and fun to see your enthusiasm as your paradigm shifted the way it did throughout the course. Thank you Erik Krueger for taking 2 days during your busy schedule as a PT Student to expand your knowledge of respiratory and thoracic mechanics. You helped me appreciate the strong desire to learn all you can that is present in so many young up and coming professionals. Thank you Kari Kantack Miller for your expertise as both a chiropractor and an athletic trainer and for the administrative skills you bring from your work at Bemidji State University. It was fun to help you connect the dots professionally and personally as we worked through the respiration material. Thank you Mayumi Ogino for your continued support and your insights as an athletic trainer who works with Division I collegiate women's volleyball athletes. Yes, they tend to overuse their necks to coordinate their breathing, which in turn contributes to their tendency to develop Superior T4 Syndrome. And thank you Steve Babcock for following up your recent experience taking PRI Integration for the Home with this Postural Respiration course. It was fun to talk functional integration of the material in the real world and to see you gain further confidence with the science.

The Postural Respiration course is the heart and soul of this institute and one of my favorite courses to teach. It's always great to breakdown the right sided vs left sided performance of muscles like the respiratory diaphragm, the serratus anterior, the lower trapezius and the oblique abdominal wall. I enjoy discussing and explaining system asymmetry, diaphragm function, airflow, thoracic gait, thoracic neurology and respiratory lateralization. Every time I have the privilege of explaining these fundamental PRI concepts and the powerful influence they collectively have on human movement, I am grateful to Ron Hruska for his lifetime commitment to learning and sharing.

As I taught this course I thought to myself, there is no way I would be able to have this type of advanced discussion on any of these topics with a group of Postural Respiration course attendees in 2017 without Ron's clinical experiences back in the 1980's and his commitment to put his observations together and form this institute back in the 1990's. I recognize that I personally would not know what I know about any of these concepts or understand what I do about human performance without the benefit of Ron's lifetime of experiences. It helps me to think back and remember where we have come from and how we got here as I work to help others begin their journey with PRI and expand what they know about breathing and thoracoabdominal performance. I'm grateful to be a protégé under such a great mentor like Ron and to in turn have the privilege to be a mentor to others.

Posted May 30, 2017 at 3:57PM

Enjoyed a great weekend traveling to Lincoln to teach the PRI Integration for the Home course at PRI Headquarters. Thank you Michelle Spicka, DPT from Husker Rehab for being such an advocate to bring the Home course back to Lincoln this year. Your persistence helped make it happen and the experience was a good one for everyone in attendance.

We spent a lot of time discussing the influences behind Lateralization in the Left AIC/Right BC Pattern. We also talked about movement variability in terms of being in a car that has the unimpaired ability to move forward, move back, change lanes right, change lanes left, turn right and turn left. We then discussed how these patterned lateralized influences can combine to cause the car attempting to make a right hand turn at an intersection to wander over into the right turning lane and not stay in the left lane during the turn as required by frontal plane law.

The group was really excited about the new ways to assess breathing and gait for a geriatric or chronic pain client. The Sidelying Horizontal Shoulder Abduction test, the Seated Gait Integration test, the Seated Gait Integration in the recliner test and the Seated Eversion with Hip Abduction tests were all well received. And all the restorative techniques for the bed, for the recliner, for the chair and for the standing position were refreshing options for populations that have needed their own exercises for a long time.

Thank you everyone for your passion and high interest in discovering functional solutions to not only geriatric and chronic pain cases, but to just about every other type of client who could benefit from this type of care. It was lots of fun.

Posted May 9, 2017 at 7:08PM

Impingement and Instability, West Yorkshire, UK. We had a fantastic international group gathered at Leeds University for Europe's first installment of the secondary level course Impingement and Instability. A big thank you to Martin Higgins, PRC for all his help hosting this course and for nurturing the science of PRI in the U.K. and across Europe. We had chiropractors from Germany, Pilates teachers from Switzerland, Physiotherapists from Ireland, Athletic Trainers from America traveling with international groups in Europe, and osteopaths, physicians, physiotherapists, chiropractors, sports therapists, strength coaches and personal trainers from all different parts of England.

It was refreshing to address such a diverse audience from so many different places with such varying backgrounds. As a group, we came together to really appreciate the lateralizing influence of asymmetrical body systems on human performance. We evaluated the 3 planes of performance, with special attention on the frontal plane. This appreciation for counter acting the lateralized human system gave us an edge understanding instabilities across the calcaneus, femur, ilium and scapula. Non manual and manual techniques were explored in context with these areas of instability, with a focus placed on getting patients and clients up on their feet. Breathing, gait and management of neurological reference centers were central themes throughout the course.

In the end, this group demonstrated a strong passion and a willingness to learn and apply advanced PRI principles in spite of their backgrounds. It was fun to see experienced professionals reconsider previously adopted ideas about biomechanics and movement and be open to new ways of evaluating things. Their willing hearts and minds made this course especially enjoyable for an educator who has become accustomed to teaching professionals in the US who are not usually as willing to cross boundaries outside their particular professions so easily. Thank you all for your welcome mentality and for the European hospitality you all so graciously showed me. Cheers!

Posted April 14, 2017 at 4:44PM
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Last

Products

CD Bundles
Non-manual Techniques CDs
Manual Techniques DVD
Manual Techniques DVD
Illustrations
Illustrations