Posts by James Anderson

Northeastern University hosted another wonderful weekend on their beautiful campus in the south end of Boston. Grateful to have such awesome hosts as we were honored to present our secondary level course, Impingement and Instability, to a wonderful group of professionals from several disciplines. Nate Bocko, Michelle Boland, Mike Anderson, Justin Parent, Dan Sanzo and Dan Adamietz, you guys were first class and represented Northeastern Sports Medicine very well. Your support for the science of PRI is appreciated and means a lot. Loved the discussion about athletic training and strength and conditioning application in collegiate athletics. Thank you for your willing participation throughout the weekend.

And thank you to Hannes Bartz, a motivated Physiotherapist who traveled all the way from Germany to attend this class. Awesome to have you there with us. As an American, I have never traveled to Europe to participate in continuing education, so I always tip my hat to professionals who make this kind of a commitment to be with us. Thank you for being such an attentive student, listening to and asking really good questions in a second language. Sorry I didn't know more Deutsch. Your candid and honest approach to learning was both refreshing and humorous.

It was also really cool to have 4 PRCs in attendance (including myself). Thank you Donna Behr, Anita Furbush and Karen Taylor-Soiles for adding your experience and insights to the course experience. And special thanks to you Donna Behr, for your past presentations to the sports performance staff at Harvard University. Were it not for your mentoring mentality, we may not have had Yumi Kuscher and Andrei Tarsici in attendance from the Athletic Training Staff at Harvard. Where would we be without all of Andrei's great questions? And sorry I kept calling you Andrew for the entire first half of the first day Andrei. Your questions were great.

The class established some powerful themes the first day that we were able to maintain throughout both days to help provide more clarity with clinical application. Neurology, frontal plane Lateralization and the management of hemispheric performance during rotational activities. Thank you guys for working with my analogy of getting ticketed on Tropicana and Las Vegas Boulevard when I was a young student at UNLV. For those of you who did not attend the course, I can't say anymore than that. You know what they say about "What happens in Vegas,...".

I really loved the comments from so many of you stating that this course really opened up key application principles of PRI, beyond just the basics of the 3 introductory courses. Its great to re-look at all 3 of those courses with a different set of lenses, figuratively and literally. The complexity of PRI really does start to become simple when hemispheric lateralization and the autonomic nervous system are fully respected.

Posted June 14, 2018 at 1:44PM
Categories: Courses

We had a fantastic weekend at Pilates Central presenting the second ever PRI Integration for Pilates course to a stellar audience that brought a fun and energetic vibe. I really love presenting a two day course with 2 other faculty members because we can showcase each other's strengths in a complementary way and it increases the likelihood of course attendees connecting personally with one or more of the presenters. Donna Parise Byrne and Sarah Petrich are two professionals that bring a strong combination of experience and ability to the table and the course attendees just love them.

We welcomed a dynamic group of physical therapists, pilates instructors, strength and conditioning professionals, athletic trainers, massage therapists, personal trainers and students. Thank you Jenny LaForest, for bringing your interest in pediatrics all the way from Missoula MT, and Danny Jackowicz, for bringing your interest in performance training all the way from Erie PA. When people who are not in the world of Pilates realize that adding Pilates can powerfully enhance what they do, its awesome. Thank you Glenna Nall, for being a competitive olympic lifter who appreciates the value of breathing and proper core integration, and Mark Cibrario, a personal trainer who still plays high level baseball with athletes 25-30 years younger than he is and doesn't miss a beat. I love it when our attendees really put the principles we teach to work in their lives to enhance body durability and career longevity.

I also wanted to thank Deb and Angel Giordano, the dynamic mother daughter team that brought so much to the weekend. Deb, I know you have a long history with Donna and Pilates Central. Thanks for bringing Angel, because her questions were so helpful to the flow of the class and definitely made the experience better for the rest of the class. It was also special to have Elizabeth Hodges attending this course. She is the one and only PRI Integration for Pilates model for all of our exercise techniques. Her contributions to the manual will continue to bless others for a long time into the future. Thank you Elizabeth and thank you for coming.

Speaking of the PRI Integration for Pilates exercise techniques, I just love what the reformer and the chair allow us to do in terms of creativity, adaptability and successful delivery of muscle and movement integration. I mean, where else does Supine Left Stance with Right Rectus Femoris and Sartorius become Left Leg Footwork Right Develope, Supine Supported 90-90 Synchronized Resisted Glute Max become Butterfly Breathing Thighs in Loops, Supine Supported Thoracic Inhibition with Serratus Reach become Feet in Loops Reach, Paraspinal Release with Left Hamstrings become Seated Gymnast Prep, Standing Left AFIR with Right Glute Max become Left Stance Scooter, Standing Left AFIR with Right Abduction become Speed Skater and Standing Left Posterior Mediastinal Expansion with Alternating Weight Shift become Standing Walking Elephant? I could go on, but you get the idea.

Please consider joining us for one of our upcoming courses this year in Albany NY, Minneapolis, MN or Novato, CA.

Posted April 16, 2018 at 2:44PM

PRI Integration for Geriatrics - Salem Oregon. Jacob Mullin and his growing team at First Call were very generous hosts for yet another PRI course. Old familiar faces like Ben, Mellet, Eric and John welcomed me back again after being a part of the 6 or 7 year training history with this organization. I am grateful that I have had the long term opportunity to learn so much with and from such a great group of passionate professionals. I love getting together with you guys because I know we are always going to laugh, learn and grow together.

A big thank you to Tracey Blain for coming all the way from Anchorage, Alaska and to Valerie Chai for coming all the way from Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. Yes, Malaysia. Your commitment to learning gave the rest of us perspective as we selfishly considered how hard it might have been for us to get up out of bed and drive across town to attend this course. And thank you Tracey for being an excellent example for the rest of the class as you demonstrated one of my all-time favorite techniques, appendix page 13. Gotta love the concept of going right to "get left" as opposed to going left to "get left".

The new course title was a big hit for this group. The recent change to include the word "Geriatric" in the title and the words "Immobile, Frail and Chronic" in the subtitle really connected for the class. Many examples of using the material for immobile, frail or chronic populations were discussed and the adaptations made really good sense to the group. Loved all the integrated discussion and the constant reference to elements of and phases of the gait cycle. It was exciting for me to have such detailed biomechanical discussions about such frail, immobile or geriatric populations.

Michael Ball, PT, PRC was one of the lab assistants and he had a really good experience with this affiliate course material. After diving into the course and assisting with the new tests and techniques, he reported, "This course goes well beyond just treating geriatric populations. The appendix is filled with so many great integrated techniques. I now have more techniques to help my patients that may not be able to tolerate traditional PRI training. The seated assessment techniques were very useful in integrating all components of the gait cycle." Thank you Michael and thank you Mellet. I couldn't have asked for 2 more capable and willing lab assistants. The class was better because of you two. And thank you to everyone in attendance for such great questions and feedback throughout the course. The group based dialogue we enjoyed and the restates of key concepts throughout the course really enhanced what we all learned and were able to take home from this course. Until my next trip to beautiful Salem Oregon.

Posted January 19, 2018 at 9:26PM

PRI Integration for Baseball (Phoenix Arizona) Another first class weekend at the Salt River Fields in Scottsdale Arizona teaching PRI Integration for Baseball with Ben Hagar, DPT, CSCS, PRC. A big thank you to the entire Diamondbacks staff for hosting a great event and making sure we had everything that we needed. Guys like Ryne Eubanks, ATC, Max Esposito, PT, ATC, and Joe Rosauer, MS, ATC were always a step ahead of us providing the necessary set up, food and drinks and the lab equipment we needed. Thanks guys. And thank you to Taylor Lewis, CSCS, PRT for serving as our lab assistant throughout the weekend.

It was great to connect with some old friends and colleagues from my days living and working in Omaha, Mike Bartels, PT, PRC and Eric Pinkall, PT, PRC. Also great to see my PRC classmate and longtime friend from Minneapolis, Karen Jiran, MPT, ATC, PRC and to have her colleague Libby Lostetter, DPT, PRC attend with her. It was great to see some PRI regulars like Kim Hart, DPT, Keisuke Kanno, DPT, CSCS, and Brian Benjamin, DPT and also to get the opportunity to meet some new professionals like Jonathan Erb, PT, Hiroko Sato, ATC, Lilly Baker-Lubin, BASI, DNSET, MS and Terry Phillips, DPT. You guys were all fantastic additions to a great group and a great course.

After introducing the class to the science of PRI and the patterned human body, Ben took over and went into the fundamentals of early phase and late phase throwing mechanics. He broke down the ideal mechanics for optimal performance and compared each phase of throwing to a phase of the gait cycle. He then used slow motion video analysis and the mechanical movement charts in the course manual to break down throwing dysfunction. He did the same thing for hitting mechanics and compared right handed player issues to left handed player issues.

On the second day Ben introduced the three baseball performance tests, quadruped, sitting and standing. The lab experience allowed each attendee to get a good feel for the components of movement being tested with each test. We then then teamed up to break down the three thoracic rotational patterns and treatment recommendations for each. The treatment lab was heavily focused on Superior T4 Syndrome because of its high frequency in baseball athletes. The end of the course outlined training recommendations for early and late phase throwing for both right and left handed players. Another really great weekend integrating PRI with all things baseball.

Posted November 27, 2017 at 9:38PM

Myokinematic Restoration (San Diego, CA) Had a very nice weekend in Southern California teaming up with Skip George, DC, PRC to teach the Myokinematic Restoration course at Water and Sports PT. Its great when one of our courses is close enough to another PRI faculty member and they are able to assist in a course as lab assistant. Thank you Skip for sharing you insights and experience with the class during our lab time.

The Myokinematic Restoration course is one of the original two courses of the institute, following the flagship Postural Respiration course. Much of the course content started as a Protonics course that both Mike Cantrell and I were fortunate enough to get to teach early in our careers. And when Ron asked Mike to join the two of us as PRI's third faculty member, he asked me to mentor Mike in the presentation of the Myokinematic Restoration course. So Mike and I and this course go way back together and it was just cool that we were both assigned to teach this course in different locations on the same weekend (something that doesn't happen that often any more). He was in Detroit and I was in San Diego, but when Skip helped connect Mike's class with ours via a conference call, it felt just like old times. So thanks Skip, thanks Mike and thank you Detroit class attendees for spending a little of your time with us and allowing us a historical connection.

As far as the course content is concerned, it has evolved to the point of being a really great clinical class. Powerful PRI concepts like ligamentous muscle, obturator hole (acetabular) control, and respiratory inhibition of the Left AIC Pattern were central elements of the course. Recent updates to the Myokinematic treatment algorithm do a great job directing clinicians through the process of advancing their patients up into standing alternating reciprocal activity. The course does a good job using the results from the Hruska Adduction Lift Test and the Hruska Abduction Lift Test to guide the process. The decision making tree for needing inhibition techniques, extra support in standing and integrative support to get the left abdominals to work better with left AFIR is a powerful clinical tool and one the class really appreciated. Loved the class, loved the content and loved the reflection on our institute's history with this course.

Posted November 3, 2017 at 8:29PM

PRI Integration for Pilates (Chicago, Illinois) Pilates Central in the beautiful city of Chicago was definitely the center of the Pilates universe this last weekend as we were blessed to launch the long awaited PRI Integration for Pilates course. I want to thank the awesome group of dynamic professionals who traveled from virtually every part of the United States, as well as Switzerland and Japan, to be with us. This new course is a powerful addition to the affiliate course line-up and something we were so excited to finally get it off the ground after working so hard on the new manual and course presentation for the last 2 1/2 years.

A big thank you to our two amazing Pilates affiliate course consultants, Donna Parise Byrne and Sarah Petrich. Your professionalism, hard work and persistence definitely paid off putting this course together because the first rendition was a fantastic hit after selling out over 7 months ago. It was an honor to get to learn from you and with you as we teamed up during countless conference calls, video conferences and personal meetings to create and pull all of this together. Seeing the finished course manual in print and seeing the course presentation unfold made me so proud to serve as the director of the affiliate program and to work with such talented people. I loved to see you two shine!

The highlight of the course was definitely all the time spent on the actual reformers experiencing all the new techniques. The last couple hours on day one and virtually all of day two got us out of our chairs and onto the reformers in the lab. Donna was hooked up to a loud speaker most of the second day and she directed everyone through each reformer technique as if each person was one of her personal clients. Her insights and experience in the lab were complimented by Sarah's insights and creativity to make it awesome for everybody.

Some of the great feedback from the course attendees includes: "This was my absolute favorite PRI course to date. Very well organized. Lab was so helpful", "The information was invaluable. Being new to PRI, I left feeling inspired and eager to continue my PRI education", "I loved the class, loved the materials and the instructors were excellent", "It was fantastic to have several hours of practice in small groups to better understand the exercises. I plan to apply this information in the clinic on Monday", "This manual rocked! It was well organized and very detailed. Loved the charts Sarah" and "This course really helped me get it".

Posted October 30, 2017 at 7:18PM

PRI Integration for Geriatrics, St Albans, Vermont-The Green Mountain Range in northern Vermont in peak fall foliage is truly something to see. I met a lot of people who were visiting Vermont during this time of year just to see the beautiful fall colors. The locals call these people "leaf peepers" and I can see why they are so passionate about traveling to these beautiful mountains in October. My wife Karen traveled with me and we spent 3 additional days in and around the Burlington and Stowe areas and just loved it.

The course was held at Northwestern Medical Center in St Albans, Vermont which is north of Burlington. It is not in Canada, but you can see it from there. Thank you to the host site for doing such a great job all weekend and for sending so many of your therapists to the course. I think there were 14 therapists from the host site. It was so great having so many of you there with us. And thank you Carolyn Weber, PT, PRC from Essex Physical Therapy for being there to assist me throughout the course. Your support was a welcome addition to the course.

I met a lot of great people this weekend and I tried to share as many insights on treating the immobile, frail and chronic as possible. You were all great additions to the course and I appreciate you being there. One of you in particular stands out in my mind as a particularly colorful character, Albert Koch, PT. He wore colorful shirts and bright bow ties with matching socks and brought in two bouquets of flowers on the second day, just to brighten our day. He brought a fun sense of humor to the course and truly made our time with him better. I am especially grateful for an email I received from him a few days after the course.

In that email, he writes, "I think I have helped my geriatric patients perform better physically and mentally over the years, with exercise, empathy, and good humor, but now I have some new and interesting ways to add to what I already know. You made me feel very welcome and you are clearly passionate about what you do and you conveyed this to the class in many ways. I enjoyed your humor throughout the weekend and appreciate that you put up with mine. Early in my career I became jaded about going to courses, because presenters would spend hours on theory, and only five minutes on practical application. But you did a nice job of balancing that much better with many exercises that are displayed in a very clear way. I hope you enjoy your time in Vermont. It is a unique and wonderful place."

Thank you Albert, and thank you to everyone we met for making our time in Vermont truly "unique and wonderful".

Posted October 25, 2017 at 8:42PM

It was a beautiful early fall weekend in Palo Alto, California teaching Impingement and Instability to an awesome group of rehabilitation, strength & conditioning, athletic training and movement professionals. Thank you to our host Chris Gaines, CSCS, CES, PES and the super team at Performance Gaines for your hospitality and professionalism throughout the weekend. You have a beautiful facility and it’s always great to get to spend time with you guys. Really appreciate all the extra work by Dan Hafner, CSCS to make sure we felt welcome and had everything we needed.

This course was chock-full of amazing professionals with a wide variety of backgrounds and experience. I wish I could thank each one of you for your contributions to the course. It was nice to have Carol Cahn, PT, PRC, Caleb Chiu, CSCS, PRT, Tim Dempsey, CSCS, CPT, PRT and Dan Houglum, MSPT, ATC, PRC in attendance as Certified PRI Professionals to learn more about the science and its application in this secondary level course. I also really appreciated having Takashi Mita, ATC and Yusuke Namba, ATC in the course all the way from Tokyo, Japan. It means a lot to our institute that you would be willing to travel so far to further study the PRI science.

Impingement and Instability provides the opportunity to delve deeper into powerful PRI concepts like Lateralization and Esthesiology. Hemispheric lateralization during upright performance is one of the chief contributors to the various instabilities that occur throughout the body. To study calcaneal, femoral, ilial and scapular instabilities from a lateralization stand point based on right vs left respiratory, neurological awareness and muscle tone influences is a paradigm shift for most. It’s a big part of what defines PRI, but something we are only able to briefly touch upon in our introductory courses.

This group did a great job grasping these underlying causes of regional and systemic instabilities across all parts of the body. I really appreciate Will Waterman, DPT, COMT, CSCS for being such a willing volunteer for so many of our demonstrations and examples. You promoted a positive learning experience for the entire class and helped us appreciate some of the finer points of technique cuing to make sure some of these more advanced PRI concepts are respected throughout treatment. Your commitment to getting things right was really representative of the overall course attitude and a big part of what made this course so enjoyable to teach. Thank you Will and thank you everyone! I look forward to seeing continued growth and advancement in all of you.

And lastly, I'd like to thank my friend and fellow PRI faculty member Dan Houglum for allowing me to share a part of his family's holiday with them in Palo Alto. I enjoyed meeting your wife Becki and your daughter Ella and getting to enjoy the Stanford UCLA football game together on Saturday evening. I've known Dan for years and have been grateful to be one of his mentors, but have not met his family until this weekend. Its always great to meet and get to know the people behind the scenes in your life, because they are really the ones who make you who you are. I think I'll throw in the picture of Ella pulling you out of the Ghiradelli Chocolate machine, because it reminds me of two things, 1) left lateralization and 2) the powerful influence our loved ones have on making us our very best.

Posted October 2, 2017 at 6:57PM

Impingement and Instability - (Indianapolis IN). Enjoyed a great weekend in Indianapolis with Bill Hartman and the IFAST crew exploring the secondary level PRI course Impingement and Instability. A big thank you to Bill and his entire staff for making me feel so welcome and for taking such good care of me throughout the weekend.

We started the course with an explanation of lateralization and the physiological and neurological reasons behind the lateralized tendencies seen with the Left AIC/Right BC pattern. We introduced a strong frontal plane approach to calcaneal performance and also to the gait cycle, emphasizing frontal plane ankle and hip strategies to help manage human lateralization.

We moved into a discussion of femoral orientation and compensation patterns that can destabilize the lower kinematic chain and cause problems with the tibial - femoral relationship. We talked about how these patterns can directly cause knee pain and knee dysfunction, and also talked about patterns that don't necessarily cause knee pain, but still need to be properly managed because they often contribute to problems in other areas. Thank you Bill for both your questions and your comments in this regard.

The second day included discussions about ilial instability and scapular instability. The relationship between the iliacus and the glute medius as functional performers for the pelvic inlet to stabilize the ilium in the frontal plane was discussed. As it relates to scapular instabilities, we looked at the frontal plane function of the low trap and compared it to sagittal plane function on both sides. We also evaluated the frontal plane function of the serratus anterior and compared it to the sagittal plane function on both sides. We finished our scapular Instability discussion with demos and overview of subscapularis as a true internal rotator of the shoulder joint once position and proper lateralization was established.

Posted September 26, 2017 at 2:21PM

PRI Integration for Geriatrics - (Chapel Hill, NC) It was an awesome weekend presenting "PRI Integration for Geriatrics" to an awesome group in beautiful North Carolina. As a group, we explored the possibilities of the course's new title and the new subtitle, "Restoring Alternating Function in the Immobile, Frail and Chronic". By the end of the weekend, we had identified a lot of great applications for immobile populations, frail populations and chronic populations across a large spectrum of conditions and age groups. It was eye opening for all of us and a great validation that the course's new name really does reflect who this material is for.

A big thank you to Susan Henning, PT, PRC and her wonderful team at the host site Advance Physical Therapy. She was a great lab assistant and a kind, generous host throughout the weekend. She has assembled a fantastic team of professionals in their dynamic integrated clinic. Thank you Joe Belding, Jean Massé, Lisa Mangino, Shella LoBianco and Beth Elder for being an important part of a great learning weekend. Honestly, to have 4 out of 6 staff members at the host site currently certified in PRI and the other 2 interested in the process of getting certified is very uncommon and even a little intimidating for a presenter with an introductory affiliate course like this. But your feedback confirms that this material was a nice combination of introductory and advanced concepts that challenged you and also rewarded you for being there. I love to be able to connect with and challenge both first time attendees and also experienced PRI clinicians with affiliate course content and all the new assessment and treatment ideas.

This weekend also provided me an opportunity to meet some people from my early PRI faculty days and associate with some of the people they are now able to mentor and influence. Rebecca Williams, PT from Pinehurst, NC, who has incidentally become a good friend of our very own Jen Poulin, reminded me that she attended one of my first ever courses as a PRI faculty back in 2001, a Protonics course in Columbia, SC. That course was also my first opportunity to meet and teach another longstanding PRI contributor and good friend, Kyndy Boyle. Wow, a lot of positive things have happened with this institute since those early days, and mostly because of the people we were fortunate enough to meet along the way. I also met 2 PTAs this weekend who are currently employed by a therapist I first met and taught when she was a student in PT school, Tracy Lyn Schuster, DPT. Madison Blythe and Hailey Parsons, you two did a great job with the material and Tracy Lyn would have been very proud of you. And thank you Madison for suggesting Merritt's Grill for lunch on Saturday. That place could be one of my all time favorite places to eat lunch anywhere in the country.

Lastly, I want to thank my friend JR Glenn for coming over from Columbus Ohio to attend the course and also to help me work through one of the long-standing emotional issues in my life - an inability to get over the hard feelings I have for the 1991 Duke University Men's Basketball Team. I attended UNLV in the early 90s and the 1991 Blue Devils prevented my Running Rebels from being back to back National Champions and I haven't forgiven them for breaking my heart. JR was kind enough to drive me from Chapel Hill across town to Durham to face my unhealed wounds at Duke University. We visited Krzyzewskiville, Cameron Indoor Stadium and then I got to see the 1991 National Championship trophy with my own eyes. After working through the pain of it all and reminding JR that the trophy should not be in a glass case in Durham, but instead in a glass case in Las Vegas, I let go and began the healing process. I'm optimistic about my ability to get over this barrier in my life. I'll definitely keep you posted. Go Rebels!

Posted September 14, 2017 at 9:29PM
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Last

Products

CD Bundles
Non-manual Techniques CDs
Manual Techniques DVD
Manual Techniques DVD
Illustrations
PRIVY
PRI Video for You