Posts by Michael Cantrell

Landing in Munich is like coming home for me. I have family here and I was afforded the opportunity to see my cousins and connect. My mother’s side comes from Munich and Bavaria and our roots are deep here. My sister wrote of my father’s meeting with my mother in WWII in a series of novels the first of which is called: The Reason of Fools by Dodie Cantrell Bickley (see the youtube trailer). After arriving in Munich we settled-in and then had an opportunity to see the city and acclimate to Germany and the time zone change. When I met with Daniel Mueller Osteopath and Eduard “Eddie” Erdeljac MD, DO1, I was greeted with warm smiles and Bavarian hospitality. Lindebergs Academy is like nothing you’ve seen and promises to be a hot bed of PRI in the coming years. This Saturday I started with Myokinematic Restoration and by the time we finished on Sunday, the class was full of excitement and gratitude for learning a new science and a new way to manage clients. Betsy Baker-Bold was a fantastic addition as a lab assistant and her input was incredibly valuable. I am always amazed as I travel around the world disseminating the PRI news along with my interpretation of Ron Hruska’s vision, how friendly and caring the souls are that I meet. We may be from varying backgrounds and walks of life but we are no different at all really. I’m grateful to be here and I will keep you posted on next weekend’s adventures with Postural Respiration!

Posted October 15, 2018 at 2:39PM
Categories: Courses

Cervical Revolution. This class is such a game-changer for so many attendees and it can be for you as well. Did you know that cranial strain patterns as identified in the literature can and are frequently reduced through breathing techniques? Did you know that those same strain patterns are the result of cervical spine positioning? Did you further know that dental integration with PRI certified clinicians is an excellent mechanism for reduction of cervical patterned movement (or lack there of)? Did you know that dentists regularly attend PRI courses? This is because they realize that PRI provides them with the absolute best mechanism for aiding them in understanding the complexity of their neurological oral appliances. Our courses also arm them with understanding of a wide variety of other oral appliances as well! It is our hope that you will discover these exciting and new ways of learning the complexity of the human body as it relates to asymmetry. I taught Cervical Revolution this weekend in San Diego at Water and Sports Physical Therapy and this was a very nice place. I arrived a couple of days early to spend some time with Skip George DC, PRC going over the nuances of this complex course and then Skip and I waded into the material over the weekend as we presented to 25 attendees. Stephanie Kinsella DPT, PRC from Minneapolis was there. We also had dentist Jason Pehling DDS on hand as well. Dr. Pehling came down from Seattle along with our 3 great guys from Alpine Physical Therapy Chris “Murph” Murphy DPT, OCS, Eli Zygmuntowicz DPT, OCS and Jeremiah Ferguson DPT, OCS. These boys host courses regularly and are bent on achieving their PRC status soon. Good luck guys! A number of folks in the class indicated that they too were planning on gaining their PRC status as well! I encourage all of you to make that journey! I hope I see you soon in a Cervical Revolution class. You’ll be glad you attended!

Posted October 11, 2018 at 9:23PM

It seems that over the years the courses that I’ve taught for the Postural Restoration Institute kind of run together. So many times I’ve almost forgotten in which city I’ve been! I know that Ron and James have had the same experience. We’ve chatted about it before. This past weekend I was in St. Louis and I taught Postural Respiration at Complete Fitness Results and Nancy Hammond PT, PRC & Lesley Callaham PT, PRC were my wonderful hosts and were unforgettable. They took good care of me and made sure the class went well. Nancy owns Integrate 360 and she and Lesley really have a great operation! Their skills are obvious and they have a true patient following. When I think about Postural Respiration I wish that I could take 3 days and teach it. The concepts are challenging in this class for sure. I see a lot of folks again and again when I teach it. I don’t blame them either. It took me forever to wrap my mind around the details! Please don’t hesitate to reach out to us at PRI because we really are here to help you. We WANT you to succeed! Nobody gets it all in one weekend and the application of the science to your patients can be challenging for sure. So reach out! Email us! Call us! Send a smoke signal. Let us help and good luck!

Posted September 25, 2018 at 8:15PM

Alaska!  I can’t tell you how amazing this 49th state is.  I arrived here in Anchorage to represent the Postural Restoration Institute to teach the class we call Cervical Revolution.  I was hosted by Joy Backstrum PT, PRC and Katie Piraino PT (soon-to-be PRC) who own The Physical Therapy Place LLC

Our group included several PT’s who are already planning on achieving their PRC status.  Also on hand was Owen Mandanas DDS who owns a dental practice in Anchorage and has a strong interest in PRI and her role as a PRI practitioner working with PT’s in Anchorage.  Laura Kompkoff OD is an optometrist who works with Joy and Katie and has attended several PRI Vision courses.  She has a strong interest in PRI and continues to improve her skills as she treats patients.  Together, we all dove into the complex details of management of the cervical spine first by understanding the polyarticular muscle chain called the Temporo-Mandibular Cervical Chain (TMCC) and then the rather significant details of the cervical spine’s arthrokinematics as they relate to the occiput and bones and joints of the cranium.  We then explored cranial strain patterns and the role the entire stomatognathic system plays on the cervical spine.  While this class can sometimes seem daunting at first, I would like practitioners to know that it isn’t as bad as it may seem and that the information is vital to answering questions you may have about progressing your own patients. I plan on remaining here in Alaska for a couple more weeks and enjoy the scenic beauty as I venture into the interior with my daughter Sophia.  So, while you’re reading this, I will be on a horse in a pack string of horses looking for a Dall Sheep Ram and some caribou.  I hope to see you soon in a class somewhere but if you EVER get the chance to come to Alaska for a course....DO IT!!!

Posted August 6, 2018 at 4:28PM

Mercer University in Macon Georgia played host to the Postural Restoration Institute as I was there to teach one of my favorite classes: Impingement and Instability. Macon is about 90 miles south of Atlanta and was the home to the Allman Brothers Band, Little Richard, Otis Redding and a ton of other incredible and famous musicians and bands. Macon is in the heart of Dixie and Mercer is a phenomenal University with an outstanding Athletic Training and sports medicine department. Amos Mansfield ATC is the head athletic trainer at Mercer and he was our host. Amos did a fantastic job and he continues to work on his PRT status because he has seen what he is capable of doing with PRI science. We had 22 professionals in class and the course went very well. Many of the gang are also pursuing PRC or PRT status. I&I is a super fun class that takes a really deep dive into the neuro-mechanics of postural discord. It is a class that is advanced and fun to negotiate as it seems to morph into a different iteration each time it is taught. Kenny Ishii flew over from Japan and provided some valuable insight as he wrapped his head around the I&I concepts in preparation to teach this class in Japan in the coming years. Jason Robey was also on hand in the class and I always appreciate his input. Incidentally, Jason just defended his doctoral thesis and it’s all about PRI! Further, Mercer University and Amos Mansfield created a setting that was tailor made for learning. I am a little prejudiced since I do some work at Mercer and I am very proud to be affiliated with them. I hope that those of you who haven’t taken Impingement and Instability will consider it in the future. The secondary courses at PRI are so very valuable at putting the pieces from the primary courses together in a meaningful way. That’s how one of the course attendees put it in their summary! I look forward to seeing you soon in the next class!!

Posted July 18, 2018 at 6:21PM

Impact Physical Medicine and Aquatic Center has been a long-time friend of PRI and always hosts courses in their cutting edge facility. Years ago Stan Babel CEO of Impact and Ron Hruska MPA, PT collaborated to create the very first PRISM pool. Christie Thames PT, DPT, HFS,PRC and Mara Brandsoy OTR/L, PRC played the role of host and this past weekend I presented Impingement & Instability which is one of my favorite courses to teach. We had two faculty members present Dan Houglum MSPT, ATC, PRC and Sayuri Abe-Hiraishi MS, ATC, LAT, CSCS, PRT. Dan and Sy are excellent presenters and I hope everyone gets a chance to take a course from them. I always learn from both of them and am grateful to call them my friends. We had a total of 8 PRC’s and 1 PRT in the class and they were all great with their input. If you don’t know about I&I, it is a class that coalesces the basic courses into a neuro symphony and teaches MORE on the “why” of Impingement. Why do people impinge and where? We take the time to deeply explain (sometimes more deeply than the attendee wishes 😊) the common sites of pain and the neuro-biomechanics associated with that pain. I cannot emphasize enough how helpful this class can be to your clinical practice and the class reviews were all really good! If you’ve been putting it off I can tell you that I’m teaching it again in July in Georgia and in September in NYC so go ahead and get registered ASAP and I will see you there. I can’t wait.

Posted May 24, 2018 at 2:38PM

Donna Behr PT, MS, DPT, PRC has done it again! She hosted Postural Respiration at a new location in Needham, Massachusetts and attendees from all walks and locales came to learn the wonderful science that is PRI! In a plush Yoga Studio we removed our shoes and started our walk! A walk into human mechanics as it is rarely explored. Along the way I had the gracious help of Anita Furbush PT, PRC as a lab assistant. Mike DeMille DPT, PRC and Eric Menchi CSCS, PRT pitched-in as well to offer a hand in the labs too! So many are mystified when I mention to them that Ribcage and Diaphragmatic dysfunction is a root cause of many orthopedic diagnoses. But following a Postural Respiration class they all agree that it is not only possible but the most likely reason for multiple orthopedic diagnoses! I invite you all to attend this fascinating class and explore the world of human asymmetry as it has never been explored before. PRI Nation is sweeping the nation!

Posted March 27, 2018 at 2:02PM

Mercer University in Macon Georgia played host to the Postural Restoration Institute as I was there to teach Myokinematic Restoration. Macon is about 90 miles south of Atlanta and was the home to the Allman Brothers Band, Little Richard, Otis Redding and a ton of other incredible and famous musicians and bands. Macon is in the heart of Dixie and Mercer is a phenomenal University with an outstanding Athletic Training and sports medicine department. Amos Mansfield ATC is the head athletic trainer at Mercer and he was our host. Amos did a fantastic job! He is working on his PRT status because he has seen what he is capable of doing with PRI science. We had 22 professionals in class and the course went very well. We covered a number of subjects from human asymmetry to the role of the diaphragm and the polyarticular chain known as the AIC. As an entry level course, I cannot recommend Myokin highly enough! Further, Mercer University and Amos Mansfield created a setting that was tailor made for learning. I am a little prejudiced since I do some work at Mercer and I am very proud to be affiliated with them. This past weekend I had some help. Adrian Baker DPT, PRC was my lab assistant and the folks in class adored her as do I. Again, I may be a little biased as I was fortunate enough to introduce Adrian to PRI a few years back. She is a good soul and a skilled clinician whom I would allow to treat anyone in my family anytime!

I sure do look forward to teaching Impingement & Instability here at Mercer this July and I look forward to seeing you there as well!

Posted March 5, 2018 at 8:30PM

There I was in Hotlanta and as the rain poured down!  40 of us PRI nerds gathered at One On One Physical Therapy and spoke about all things Postural Respiration. I didn’t get to take very many pictures this time around because I was busier than a centipede at a toe-counting contest! Honestly, if I wasn’t answering questions...I was asking MORE questions. This audience was chock full of eager minds and new professionals visiting PRI concepts for the very first time. How honored I was to have the opportunity to go over the complexities of normal and abnormal respiration, the role of the diaphragm as a postural muscle and a respiratory muscle, rib kinematics as they relate to human asymmetry. I had two of my own former employees who are both Postural Restoration Certified (PRC) helping in the labs: Adrian Baker DPT, PRC and Kristin Spencer MPT, PRC. Adrian and Kristin were extremely helpful and valuable assets during the weekend and I am grateful to both of them. One On One Physical Therapy is a great host site and the facility was laid out nicely for a good class. Karen Davis Warren MPT, OCS, OTC made sure we had what we needed and I’m pretty sure she is planning on hosting another PRI course in the future. Present in the audience was Amos Mansfield ATC the head Athletic Trainer at Mercer University in Macon, GA. Amos is hosting Myokinematic Restoration at Mercer on March 3-4 and I would invite all to attend as this course dovetails very well with Postural Respiration. I look forward to seeing you all next month and in continuing PRI courses in the future. Let’s explore the science together!

Posted February 13, 2018 at 8:25PM

Cervical Revolution Seattle! How excited I was to have the opportunity to visit the world of Alpine Physical Therapy. My hosts and co-owners of Alpine: Eli Zygmuntowicz DPT, OCS, Jeremiah Ferguson DPT, OCS and Chris (Murph) Murphy DPT, OCS are three very strong PRI enthusiasts. These guys are the ones to watch as PRI progresses in the northwest. In their new and very modern facility we began a journey into the world of cervical spine management as well as cranial strain patterns and dental integration. On hand were 9 dentists, many of whom were quite familiar with PRI. Kent Moberly DDS returned for another round of learning and we also had many PRC’s and Takuto Kondo ATC, CSCS, DNSET, PRT was on hand too! More and more people are enrolling in this class because, in spite of the daunting reputation that this course has, people are realizing that understanding the material is essential for adequate ability to successfully manage a significant number of patients who require a multi-disciplinary approach. By the end of this class, attendees were creating a local study group to continue what was started this past weekend! Dentists were excited, therapists were jazzed and I couldn’t have been more proud of them and the Postural Restoration Institute. I look forward to returning to Seattle someday soon! Oh and keep in mind that Postural Visual Integration is coming soon to Alpine Physical Therapy so register right away!!!

Posted January 24, 2018 at 8:31PM
1 2 3 4 5 6 Last

Products

CD Bundles
Non-manual Techniques
Manual Techniques DVD
Manual Techniques
Illustrations
PRIVY
PRI Video for You