Posts by Jennifer Poulin

Last weekend I enjoyed teaching Pelvis Restoration up in the Motor City. The class was hosted by the Detroit Medical Center and their staff were very accommodating and made me feel right at home. This class was a nice mix of rehab and strength and conditioning professionals. There were only 4 newbies and the rest of the class had taken PRI coursework. This always makes for a fun class with lots of integration between the respiratory and pelvic diaphragms as it relates to gait and breathing. On Sunday, we mixed it up a bit, as it was my last class of 2018. The group widely understood my L AIC “Mustang Sally” analogy. It was quite fitting as I awoke to some snow on Sunday! Brrr… it was cold up North this past weekend. My VT Yankee blood has definitely thinned! We discussed how our patients and athletes are born into a LAIC pattern and compensate with their backs to override the pattern. This led to my PEC snowstorm on the Mustang Sally asymmetrical pattern.

We began our treatment algorithms discussing the Patho PEC pattern management and related that compensation to a Winter Snow storm on top of our Mustang Sally. We reviewed the 3 signs of pathology and how these patients will maximize end range and stabilize on their joints vs. good muscle control. A lot of time and discussion was spent on the importance of securing inlet extension with IOs and TAs and inhibiting back extensors before moving into L AIC clinical efforts. Once we brushed off the compensations of the Patho PEC and PEC, we got down to business to review the RAIC treatment plan. This switch in presenting the material was appreciated as a lot of our Pelvis patients are in a PEC pattern and lack frontal plane control.

Craig Stasio, PT from Simio Physical Therapy, assisted me. Thanks to Nick Jensen ATC from the Atlanta Braves for enduring my Right Iliacus emphasis and Mary Ann’s early question regarding respiration and the Pelvic Diaphragm. I look forward to taking a little break over Thanksgiving and seeing everyone in Lincoln for Advanced Integration in December!

Posted November 14, 2018 at 10:28PM
Categories: Courses

I liken teaching Myokinematics of the Hip and Pelvis to putting on a comfy pair of slippers. I took my first Myokin course back in 2001 the first time Ron offered this material. The course has evolved over time as the Institute learns more about our normal balanced asymmetry and how we compensate in three planes. Despite our deeper understanding of how the visual, occlusal position and proper shoes affect compensation patterns, clinicians still need to understand the fundamentals of a Left AIC pattern as it relates to position and performance. An F (femur) moves on an A(acetabulum), yes, but an A also can move and stabilize an F. This is the foundation of this course. We then need to fully understand how our patients compensate for this normal pattern. Did they or did they not over lengthen their anterior hip ligaments? For me, this is the question of the 2 day course!

In Worcester Mass this weekend, I had an amazing group of clinicians. A large number were taking their first official PRI class. So Fun! But, all of them knew of PRI or were working along side a co-worker using PRI in their practice. They were all in Worcester to learn for themselves how to help their patients/ athletes.

Once we were all clear on the pattern and the position of AF whether it be in IR or ER, we learned the tests to determine their positions and compensations. On Sunday afternoon, we just problem solved our way through the treatment progressions. The class was focused on utilizing functional tests and muscle algorithms to guide what came next. For years I used an analogy in my teaching that seeing a patient present in the clinic as a L AIC was like seeing Yellow VW bugs driving past you on the road. But it is a new day and time for a new analogy, that I now refer to as "Mustang Sally". We had some fun after lunch taking our group shot with my Mustang rental car that I've been upgraded to, 2 weekends in a row! New car for my husband Chris, I think maybe! Since then, I see Mustang's everywhere I go, now that I am looking for them!

Hats off to the staff of Central Mass Physical Therapy! This is the third time I have taught at this host site. I was able to meet some new staff, make some new friends and see some familiar faces. Damion Perry, Yolanda Pappas, Borbala Suranyi and Gene Lyons were all in my Pelvis Class last month in Boston. Meredith Stephens, MS, PT is also a faculty member for Anatomy Trains. We had some great gait discussions at lunch. I look forward to learning more from her in the future. Maureen Watkins, PT is faculty at Northeastern University in the PT department. Her non-patho hip helped me demonstrate how to develop hole control on the right side with a glut max and obturator in the transverse plane. I always enjoy teaching Myokinematics. That's a wrap for 2018. I will look forward to teaching this awesome course next year!

Posted October 15, 2018 at 8:40PM

I enjoyed teaching Myokinematics of the Hip and Pelvis last weekend in Asheville, NC! This was a special weekend as I was able to take Mr. Jen Poulin aka Chris with me to help! It has been awhile since we were able to travel and teach together. We were joined by Josh Owen, ATC, PRT. It was great to meet Josh and have him help with the labs.

This course was hosted by the fun energetic group of clinicians from the Charles George VA Hospital. Tammy, Doug, Amy, Monica to name just a few of the staff, made us feel welcome.

Most of the class were taking their first PRI course! I always enjoy this class as it really hits home the fundamental concepts of AF and FA position and common compensations. We all appreciate the importance of respiration as it relates to stabilization of a pattern. This course really helps the course participant understand how respiration and gait are so interconnected. Concepts of swing vs. stance, AFIR, AFER and soft tissue compensations were understood as it relates to position, pattern and performance. I had so much fun teaching this past weekend! I can't wait to come back!

I will get a few weeks off and look forward to heading up to Worcester, Mass on Oct. 13-14th to teach this awesome course again!

Thanks for everyone's prayers for NC. Hurricane Florence left her mark, but we are Carolina Strong!

Posted September 27, 2018 at 9:27PM

I had a great time last weekend teaching Pelvis Restoration in Newton, MA. I had not taught a class since last year! It was great being able to spend more time with my daughter Madison before we sent her off to college. Yes, the rumors are all true, she is a Freshman at the University of Vermont! My alma mater! I guess you can take the girl out of VT, but she can always go back! So now it was time for me to get back to #PRINation and share my "pearls" of PRI wisdom. The class was a nice mix of new clinicians to PRI and some that were looking to refine their PRI interventions and concepts. Pelvis Restoration is one of the three intro courses that allows a more integrated discussion of respiration as it relates to the Pelvis and frontal plane control. This course is so much fun to teach! Pelvis allows the clinician to explore how a "Laga Gaga" Born this Way chain can cause our "inner Beyonce" to come out as we learn to stabilize left stance. Thanks so much to Donna Behr for being an amazing host and Anita Furbush, PRC for coming to help me during lab. Since then, I have been busy getting ready for the impending Hurricane. Please pray for the Carolinas as we prepare for Hurricane Florence to hit our sweet states.

Posted September 14, 2018 at 5:53PM

This past weekend I had the pleasure of presenting Pelvis Restoration for the 3rd time in the last month! I did a course swap earlier this year as I couldn't pass up the opportunity to teach PRI in the Big Apple! My kids had a few days off from school, so we made it a family getaway. And..... My niece Kirsten who goes to school in Florida, just happened to be in the City with her Advertising club. There is nothing better than family and PRI! We spent a few days touring the city and eating our way around town. We took in a Broadway show and visited the 9/11 museum and memorial. It was a nice way to commemorate Veterans Day. Once the family fun was over, it was off to teach at Finish Line PT. This place is just so cool. I taught at this facility around 3 years ago. It is always great to teach again at the facilities that I have taught in the past. This group has taken on a passion for PRI and loves to host courses! Can't wait to come back again in the future.

Pelvis Restoration is all about the frontal plane. I think I might have repeated the femur, pelvic outlet and pelvic inlet frontal plane relationships at least 25 times. I was going for 50, but I think they got it! This group of clinicians were not afraid to ask questions to better understand the material. I had a group of experienced clinicians and first timers that we affectionately refer to as "newbies" The newbies were definitely getting it! At the first break, I was approached by Courtney Pierre who was taking his 3rd PRI course. He was not certain he was understanding PRI, but after my initial remarks, his Ah Ha moments were happening and I am so glad he shared that with me. For those that have learned from me, I know you know how much I love to teach PRI and help bring people to a greater understanding of this integrated science.  Pelvis Restoration is a great platform to begin a PRI journey as it is a bit integrated.

Another special shout out goes to our token Pilates Instructor Maddy Kulesik. Maddy came to the course on the special encouragement from her parents Pat and Ellen. They just happen to be patients and clients of ours in NC. Maddy did great and loved her first PRI course. I don't think it will be her last. Way to go Maddy.

Thanks again to everyone who spent their weekend with me at Finish Line. The staff were amazing hosts and made me feel right at home. This was my last course of 2017 and I will hit the road again in the summer of 2018. Thanks to Jen and Ron for giving me an extended break to spend with my daughter Madison as she will flying out of our nest and off to college next year.

Until we meet again... Have a blessed Holiday Season and Happy New Year.

Posted November 15, 2017 at 10:53PM

It was a beautiful fall weekend in the suburbs of Philly! I was welcomed back to Premier Orthopedics to teach the newly revised Pelvis Restoration this past weekend. I had taught the Myokinematics course at this location 2 years ago. It is always great to return to a host site and see some familiar faces in the group. Thank-you Justine deLuccio, PT for sharing your patient successes and passion for PRI with me and the group. It is always refreshing to help guide clinicians on their PRI journey. I was joined by my able Lab Assistant Miguel Aragoncillo, PRT and thanks Jon Herting and Jon May for being repeat course participants of my classes. It feels good to build these friendships across the country and share the science of PRI.

Pelvis Restoration is a great first course for new clinicians to take. Understanding the influences of stance and swing as it relates to frontal plane control and respiratory influences of the pelvic and respiratory diaphragms is a great way to enter the science of PRI. I LOVE teaching this course, because I love the depth of information it allows me to share. Thanks to my new NYC friends and their help during demonstrations. Your smiling faces in the group always energize me! Tim Corker did a great job as the host coordinator and I wish him all the best as he integrates PRI into his practice. A very special shout out to Andrea Chellini, PT who came all the way from Florence Italy to take his second PRI course here in the USA. The global reach of PRI never ceases to amaze me. So I think I need to create a new PRI hashtag. It feels good to grow the #PRIWORLD. Here also is a pic of me with the Liberty Bell. Let freedom ring! Proud to be an American!

Posted November 7, 2017 at 5:01PM

I have been on the Faculty of PRI for the last 7 years and this weekend was the first time I had taught a full course at the Institute since coming on staff. This weekend was very special to me as I had my dear friend and PRIsister Lori Thomsen as my lab assistant. The entire staff of PRI were there to help me put on the course. It was nice to show up, teach the class and not have to worry about getting everyone signed in! Pelvis Restoration was recently updated to include the Hruska Abduction lift score as the functional performance test to guide a patient who lacks frontal plane of their pelvis on one or both sides. The course material flows nicely as the HABLT is truly a frontal plane test. I had the special privilege of having Ron conduct a "Lunch and Learn" on Friday with my course attendees. He fielded questions on the history of PRI and why he choose to name the asymmetrical pattern the LAIC as well as his own personal story. Having him there made me feel like I was teaching with a life jacket! This was a small group that were 50% new to PRI. I love hearing course attendees talk about what course they are interested in taking next and this course was no exception! Thank-you to Lori, Jen Platt, RJ, Matt and Hannah for making me feel at home.

Posted October 23, 2017 at 8:17PM

I thoroughly enjoyed my weekend with an integrated group of clinicians at One on One Physical Therapy in Atlanta Georgia. I taught Pelvis Restoration for the first time since we updated the material to use the HABLT vs. the HADLT for progression of treatment. The test surely is a better assessment tool for the frontal plane of proximal pelvic control. My course attendees were almost an even split of those that were sitting in their first PRI course and those that were very experienced with the science. There were many questions and scenarios discussed and I of course love sharing my clinical pearls to help course attendees understand how to integrated PRI into their treatment plans.

My hostess was fantastic! Karen Warren and her colleagues were gracious and she is excited about hosting future PRI classes! I was joined by Kristen Spencer and Adrian Baker as my lab assistants. These ladies did a great job helping the class during lab and supporting me this weekend. It is always fun to have my friend Liz Caughey, DDS in a PRI class. So cool that she as a dentist wants to understand PRI science as it relates to everything other than just teeth. This lady is so cool. A special shout out to Henry Pursner for making sure my technology was working and my coffee cup was always full. I was well taken care of this weekend.

On a personal note, my heart goes out to all of those recently affected by Hurricane Harvey and Hurricane Irma. I was fortunate to be able to stay with my sister Jacki and her family this weekend as they reside just north of the perimeter in Alpharetta! I was able to fly out of Atlanta on Monday am just before Irma unleashed on Atlanta! I did get home in time to watch my daughter play her cross county rivalry Volleyball game. They came back after being down 0-2 and in the third set 19-24 to win in 5 sets of Volleyball!!

Posted September 12, 2017 at 2:49PM

It is always great to teach PRI at Northeastern University. The Sports Medicine Department has embraced the teachings of the Postural Restoration Institute and their entire staff does such an amazing job hosting courses for us. The facility is great having both a lecture room and an adjacent lab room for clinical testing and practicing techniques. Mike McKenney, ATC and Elizabeth Sheehan, ATC made sure we had everything we needed for a great weekend. The entire Northeastern staff in attendance were really starting to put this science together for their athletes! I enjoyed all of my "side bar" conversations with this group.

It was also great for me to see some faces I had just seen in Providence, RI a few weeks ago back for more PRI! Matt Silvaggio, MSPT, Matt Medeiros, DPT, Chris Gomes, DPT CSCS and Jonathon Carroll CSCS were all at University Orthopedics Pelvis Course with me. That makes me so happy to see clinicians enthusiasm to learn more! The Ah Has were going off for this group!

My lab assistants were a real power house. This was a large class so having 2 PRC's Donna Behr and Anita Furbush along with PRT's Miguel Aragoncillo and Navin Hettiarachchi was hugely supportive. This class size of 55 students was almost an equal split of rehab professionals and wellness professionals. So having support from both PRCs and PRTs was great!

38/55 students were what we call PRI newbies! The energy was positive and the depth of knowledge in this group was vast. Recently I have been teaching the Pelvis course a lot, so it was fun to switch gears into discussion of Hole Control and AF vs. FA control of a hip and pelvis! Personally I had the pleasure of teaching Kirsten Bombardier, DPT her first PRI course. Her parents and I have been friends for years and Kirsten used to babysit my girls when they were babies. How great it was to bring her into the PRINation! She left excited to sign up for her next PRI course.

Thanks again to all who attended and I appreciate all of the Twitter love that was sent out during and following the course. I teach for the love of PRI and I always learn from my course attendees!

A Big shout out to Queen B for her song Irreplaceable for giving me the quote of the weekend "to the left to the left". See you in the fall PRINation!

Posted June 14, 2017 at 3:57PM

PRINation welcomed me back this past weekend in Providence, RI for Pelvis Restoration. It is hard to believe the last course I taught was in November of 2016! Course schedules and Family obligations allowed me to take a respite from teaching and I definitely was more than ready to get back out and help my students learn about PRI as it relates to the frontal plane control of the Pelvis!

One of things I love about this course is not only the structure of course materials but the integration of respiration of the pelvis with the thorax. It allows me to really connect the dots for the student. The in-depth discussion of the frontal plane control of the pelvis as it relates to both the LAIC patterned individual and the PEC patterned patient is very comprehensive as it relates to human performance.

I had the privilege of working with Sean Fitzgerald, PT, DPT, PRC. Sean is an old friend from VT. He reminded me that Chris and I were the first to expose him to PRI and took him to his first PRI course when he was a student of Physical Therapy in 2002! He brought along Johnnie Earls, DPT. I taught Johnnie his first PRI course at UVM last year as he was graduating from UVM that same year. It was not common in 2002 for students to be taking PRI courses, but it is now having a student in a PRI course is almost commonplace today. It always amazes me how much PRI has grown in the last 20 years!

This course was made up of more "seasoned" PRI students. Only 5 out of 20 were "newbies" to the science of PRI, but all had seen PRI in practice. This always makes for an easier more relaxed course as these students were eager to learn more about the When, Why's and How's of treatment evaluation and progression.

A big shout out to my host Tom Dubuque, PT and the staff of University Orthopedics for welcoming me back.

Terry Morena Toste from their staff was attending her first PRI course and dyed her hair purple for the occasion! ;) Now that is a future PRC for sure! Terry and I had great fun as we both were UVM grads!

I also had some fun using a shout out to my UNC Tar Heels to emphasize the important reference center for upright frontal plane control! Go Heels!

All of my students were great this weekend! I have a renewed sense of passion for teaching PRI. I will be back on the road in a few weeks to teach Myokinematics of the Hip and Pelvis to my friends at Northeastern June 10th and 11th. Until then.... PRI Nation!

Posted May 24, 2017 at 6:46PM
1 2 3 4 Last

Products

CD Bundles
Non-manual Techniques
Manual Techniques DVD
Manual Techniques
Illustrations
PRIVY
PRI Video for You