Posts by Ron Hruska

That’s another course, for another time.”

According to Kristi Jagels MS, PT, PRC this is a statement that I have made at many of the past courses she has attended. And I believe she is correct. 

Cupidity, or the intense desire for possessiveness, acquisitiveness, and avidness, usually interferes with our respect for the process that clarifies our appreciation for incessant curiosity and pedagogic gratification. We all need to struggle with novel approaches, new relationships and unfamiliar applications. There were thirteen PRI certified and trained clinicians in this course, as well as many more attendees, who have remained altruistic and content with familiar application of PRI principles and were, hopefully, ready for “this course, at this time”. 

Ron Hruska discussing Airway obstruction at the Cranial Resolution course at the Postural Restoration Institute

More importantly, they hopefully appreciate that this PRI course, which is about human dysfunctional oscillatory patterned behavior, would not have resolved their discipline outcome based discontentment, without trusting a thalamic process that was outlined by PRI objectives offered by previous courses that were required for this course attendance. The tag line following the title of each of those required courses, as well as this course, is “An Integrated Approach to the Treatment of…”  An appreciable understanding of human patterns is helpful in building a cognitive framework for the interplay between Autonomic and Central Nervous system integration in “treatment”. 

Ron Hruska Discussing the

I believe the framework offered by the PRI Primary and Cervical Revolution courses guides this interplay. Clinical “integration” of the Autonomic Nervous System and the Central Nervous System, using PRI based concepts, can have a significant influence on clinical interdisciplinary design and outcomes. After reading the comments from these course attendees, I believe they have gained a better understanding of the magnanimity associated with the words “that’s another course, for another time”.

Cranial Resolution IS that course, and worth your time!

To see more photos from this course CLICK HERE

There is probably no one that has over 35 years of “breathing experience” as it relates to lower back dysfunction or chronic disease than Rosalba Courtney. I have referenced her, written about her, studied her work, and continue to read her material. She has always been a person I am mindful of when contemplating the role the ANS has on regulation and vagal tone. She was mindful of autonomic dysregulation long before the term “dysautonomia” or “persistent postural perceptual dizziness (PPPD)” became widely noted or understood. She always related neurophysiological disruption to the scientific evidenced-based perspectives of non-pharmacologic healing methods. This is what drew me to Rosalba. Her deep, deep respect for resonance and rhythmic respiration. It is such an honor to have her accept our invitation to come to Lincoln, Nebraska as our 2019 Interdisciplinary Integration Symposium keynote speaker. If there is one word that I correlate patterns and positions to, it is ‘oscillation’ largely because of individuals like Rosalba. Oscillatory activity occurs to help coordinate a system of “oscillating body systems.” After our personal conversation with her, I am sure this noted Australian will enlighten our sense of vibratory need.

To read more of Rosalba's work, I would invite you to visit her website. What's even more exciting is that Rosalba is no stranger to PRI, as she has attended all of the courses we have hosted in Australia in the past few years. I am very much looking forward to finally meeting her, welcoming her to Lincoln, and introducing her to more of the PRI family.

Rosalba's presentations at our upcoming sympoisum are titled:

Oscillations and Resonance Frequencies of the Breath and the Body- Part 1     
Our bodies live in ever changing conditions. For health and homeostasis to be maintained successfully we need to constantly adapt to constant change. Oscillations occurring within the functions of our various body systems help these systems to co-ordinate their functions so that they can work together to optimally react to change and maintain homeostasis. Breathing is an oscillating system that can influence the function and co-ordination of other oscillating body systems, particularly the autonomic nervous system, the cardiovascular system and the digestive system in ways that enhance or interfere with the function of those body systems. Every oscillating system has one or several resonance frequencies where unique capabilities emerge. Resonance frequencies of breathing can be used therapeutically to assist a range of health conditions including depression, anxiety, panic disorder, dysautonomia, asthma, fibromyalgia, chronic pain, functional gastro-intestinal and cardiovascular disorders.

Optimizing the Healing Effects of Breathing Rhythms, Frequencies and Oscillations- Part 2
The healing and homeostatic effect of breathing oscillations can be optimized by improving the functionality of breathing. People with dysfunctional breathing have difficulties harnessing the healing powers of resonance frequency breathing. We well explore how 1. psychophysiological, 2. biomechanical and 3. biochemical dimensions of breathing functionality affect the breaths ability to heal and restore homeostasis and learn some techniques for assessing patients for with tools that can measure these various dimensions of dysfunctional breathing. We will then explore ways of modifying the practice of resonance frequency breathing to assist functionality in these 3 key breathing dimensions.

The early registration deadline for the Interdisciplinary Integration Symposium is this Friday. CLICK HERE to register today!

Posted March 11, 2019 at 3:18PM
Categories: Courses

It was a very cold weekend here in Lincoln Nebraska, and as a result of the weather and having a weekend off from course instruction, I had the opportunity to read, reflect and integrate. Therefore, it was a great weekend. This morning, I am reflecting again on material I read and perused, some of which was written by our speakers who are coming to Lincoln in April for the Spring Symposium. It is difficult to focus on what I need to do this week, because of my excitement for this collaborative event. Each of the speakers I have met and talked to in one form or another, and they all are people that have so much in common and so much to offer because of their dedicated work and dedicated pursuance of advanced work that is built off of integrative collaboration. I look forward to you meeting them and learn how they will help you advance your effort with airway oscillation, incorporation of glottal alignment and regulation of vibration in treating conditions associated with postural asymmetry.

After spending a day with Ruth Hennessy and some of her vocal clients a few days ago, while in NYC, I received this text message from Ruth. “I have a voice student I Skype with in Australia who has, for several years, been telling me about her amazing osteopath and how we are so on the same wavelength. Yep, it’s Rosalba Courtney! My student has taken some of her breathing classes in Sydney. Small world!”

This weekend of cogitation has reminded me of how small of a world it really is, when you reflect on how our interpersonal lives are really tied to those with similar adventures, study, interests, habits and relationships. All of this year’s Symposium speakers have two things in common, breath and body position. And I can’t wait to see and hear them interact with each other and with you in the SAME room.   If you have not decided yet on whether or not to come to this opportunity, reconsider what I reflected on this weekend; this unique personal connection of our ‘small worlds’ WILL NOT happen again like it will on April 11th and 12th. For those of you coming, I am eager for you to meet these speakers and experience the energy they will bring you, and your clients or patients through this assembly. Over the next few weeks, I will expound on my personal reasons for asking them to participate, and expand and consolidate our ‘small worlds.’

Ron Hruska working with Ruth Hennessy and a voice student

Ron Hruska working with Ruth Hennessy and a voice student

Posted March 5, 2019 at 9:43PM
Categories: Courses Clinicians

There probably is not a place on the body that I want to put my hands and eyes on more than the neck. It tells me so much about the neurologic state of the body, the position the body resides, the pattern of respiration placed on the thoracic diaphragm and the anterior neck muscle, the appendicular compensatory probability, the demands placed on dental occlusion, the manner of visual and auditory processing, the pharyngeal airway limitation and the voice habilitation existence. Our character and personality is refined and reflected by our cervical function, or lack of.

Quite frankly, I can look at someone’s neck and become oriented to their orientation and probable individual needs for and from Postural Restoration integration and application. Our synergistic patterns of behavior are defined by the dimension and displacement of the vessels and their lumens and the string-like fiber of muscle, tendons, fascia, and nerves of the neck.

Last weekend's instruction and interaction with Skip George DC, PRC, who will be teaching this class with me on April 27-28 in Holland Michigan, allowed us to fully examine patterns of functional behavior that corresponds with limitations of cervical lateral flexion and axial rotation. I want to thank Alicia Ferriere DPT, PRC, Darlene Kalinowski PMA-CPT, Laura Paley PT, DPT, Yohei Takada DPT, CFMT, OCS, SCS, CSCS, Catherine Coelho PT, and Daniel Buron MS, CSCS for helping out with lab demonstration and class participation. I always enjoy having Michael Zhao BS, CSCS in my classes. His brain-centric view of the importance of including physiological, environmental and biologic political determinants in assessing synergistic patterns of behavior enlightens me. Thank you Michael for your ongoing participation and attendance after taking 17 PRI courses. Lastly, thank you to Finish Line Physical Therapy for your ongoing support of PRI and continuing to host several courses a year in NYC, my home away from home. 

Posted March 4, 2019 at 3:01PM

Every time I see, say or hear the word ‘airway’ I think ‘oscillation’, and every time I see, say or hear the word ‘oscillation’ I think ‘airway’.  Therefore, you can probably imagine how excited I am for the upcoming Interdisciplinary Integration Symposium and for the opportunity to engage with all the speakers who have dedicated their professional lives to these two words. 

A recent article in The New Yorker (February 11, 2019), written by Burkhard Bilger describes our orchestration inside of us.  His first two paragraphs of ‘Extreme Range’ sent me over my edge of containment...

“In a throat, a note is forming.  A puff of air, a pulse of the lungs, rushes up the windpipe and through the vocal cords, parting them like a pair of lips.  As the cords begin to vibrate, they’re stretched taut by muscles to either side, raising the pitch.  The diaphragm pumps more air, rocketing the note up the vocal tract, making its walls hum like the barrel of a woodwind.  The sound ricochets back and forth as it rises, gaining resonance with each rebound, till it bursts into the hollow chamber of the mouth, the ringing cavities of the sinuses, and careens off the palate into the open air.

The human voice is the world’s most astonishing instrument, it’s often said.  It’s capable of everything from a trill to a bark to an ear-splitting scream, from growling harmonics to liquid acrobatics, lofted on the breath like a lark on an updraft.  Instrument is the wrong word, really.  The voice is more like a chamber ensemble: winds and strings and blaring horns, strung together end to end.  It’s a pump organ, a viola, an oboe, and the bell of a trumpet, each instrument passing the sound along to the next, adding volume and overtones at every step.  Throw in the percussion of the lips and tongue, and the echoing amphitheater of the skull, and you have a full orchestra playing inside you.”

Over the next few weeks, I will highlight each of our six orchestrated speakers and presenters, and how their ‘Approach to the Production of Voice, Airflow, and Resonance Frequency Breathing’ strengthens our sense of self and self-satisfaction.  Postural satisfaction requires intimate integrated oscillation from our vocal cords, neck musculature, throat or airway and occiputs.  Highlighting is something I do with every article, book or journal I read.  I look forward to every one of our Spring Symposiums, but this year it will be hard to contain my excitement between now and one of the biggest highlights of my year.

Posted February 18, 2019 at 4:32PM

A few days before this course, I was reviewing the material and made a remark to Jen Platt on how much “good” stuff is in this course, that I forget about from year to year. It is so enjoyable to have an opportunity to discuss the reasoning one might use before selecting a position to place a client or patient in, before selecting a non-manual technique. What went into the thought processing regarding reference centers and concepts and why is it important to select an appropriate primary reference for desirable “referent” behavioral outcomes? 

Ron Hruska demonstrating a Non-manual Technique with Neil Rampe

Results are based on preparation. Preparing the patient on what to be mindful of, sense, possibly expect, experience, etc. are all more important than making sure they are doing the technique “correctly”. Processing information can be difficult if individual centers of tactility are not explored first. Words matter, word placement matters, word meaning matters, word correlates matter, word integration matters and word synchrony matters. 

Ron Hruska Non Manual Techniques Workshop

This course allows me to review this communication process, inhibitory intensity and neurologic effort for those who have unique limitations but very similar outcome needs, relating to pattern development around asymmetrical design. Over twenty different non-manual techniques, many of which were selected by the attendees, were reviewed, torn apart, discussed, re-designed and then re-designed again, to recognize reliability of approach and validity of use. It is personal for me. And therefore, an opportunity for those who share their transparencies to reap “good” stuff.

Ron Hruska Non-Manual Technique

Posted February 12, 2019 at 5:10PM
Categories: Courses Techniques Science

Having the opportunity to discuss the role of the hypothalamus and integrated thalamic function as they relate to autonomic patterned respiration, physiology, posture and central nervous system compensation, was an enduring dream of mine. I could finally, deliver a course that describes how our autonomic and central nervous systems operate with and from  biased cerebral and cerebellum lateralization, hemispheric specialization, and oscillatory compression and decompression.

Ron Hruska demonstration during Cranial Resolution in Seattle

Over two decades of literature review, clinical application, multi-disciplinary experience and evidence based outcome methodology, built with the help of an Institute I started for these course objectives, fulfilled me in ways that are very difficult to express. I trusted an idiosyncratic educational process that challenged me as a pre-dentistry student. A clairvoyant process that required collegiate patience, faith in humanity and belief in our holistic, biological and neurological system. I appreciated the 41 course ambassadors who also trusted this process. I hope they came away with a sense of how we patterned humans resolve to make sense of what we don’t sense through pattern compensation of air flow, fluid movement, and cavity fluctuation as it relates to ischial and occipital (sacral and cranial) rhythm and thus autonomic processing. 

Christopher Murphy at Cranial Resolution, Alpine Physical Tehrapy

Cranial Resolution Course Attendees, Seattle, WA

This course was strengthened by the input and participation from too many people to list here, but I especially appreciated the support from Erin Coomer DPT,OCS, Laurie Gribschaw PT,DPT,ATC,AT/L,PRC,  Janine Peacock DPT,OCS, Paige Raffo MPT,OCS and Kelly Martin PT.  I could not have asked for a better audience and support group.   There were many reasons I wanted to give this first course in Seattle but three of those reasons are Christopher Murphy DPT,OCS,PRC,  Jeremiah Ferguson DPT,OCS,PRC, and Eli Zygmuntowicz DPT,OCS,PRC. These three men are absolutely the embodiment of family. I will always be grateful for their warmth, charismatic charm and pedagogical approach. I had so much fun and look forward to the next opportunity to talk about pendular parasympathetic process. 

Alpine Physical Therapy

The title of this artistic illustration reflects how our two lateralized hemi-rib cages operate when their top column of ribs move away from the central axis, or the spine. Bifarious is a botanical name for a structure that has parts arranged in two rows on either side of a central axis.  The Latin definition of ‘bifarious’ is ‘double’. These two representations of the anterior chest wall help clarify the likely degree of lateral flexion or thoracic wall abduction of each row of ribs, with respect to the lung, organ and neurologic asymmetry guidance. It reminds the viewer that they are not looking at one rib cage when you look at the chest or thorax. They are seeing double. Two chest walls that revolve and rotate around a central axis, making all our chest walls bifariously oriented.

Buy HERE:

Posted October 4, 2018 at 3:02PM
Categories: Products

The definition of -ation is something connected with an action or process, or the process of doing something. I feel that I am doing this every time I teach this course. Processing references with desirable action to achieve outcomes that can become reprocessed through the integration of sense of this -ation. This can become a revelation for those who are struggling to change processing.  Once again I appreciate Finish Line Physical Therapy for hosting another course in NYC. Tying the last hour of the course, humeral - scapular - thoracic activity with the first hour of the course, calcaneus activity allows the attendees to complete a full circle of sensory referencing, clinically and personally. This group was great in not only participation but in helping Kentaro Ishii MS, ATC/L, PES, CE, PRT rethinking about course organization. Michael Macchiarulo PT, DPT and Monica Saenz DPT thank you for representing the RAIC/LBC and LAIC/RBC pattern references throughout both days. 

Monica Integrating R AIC/L BC references while Michael integrates L AIC/R BC references. 

Michael integrating R AIC/L BC references while Monica integrating L AIC/R BC references.

Brynn Fessette DPT, FAFS, Joshua DiLoreto ATC, and Chris Leib DPT, CSCS,Cert MD were awesome lab demonstrators and volunteers and enriched the course by their willingness to share their ‘sense’ of what they were feeling and integrating.  

But the best thing about teaching, is meeting new people, hearing new reasoning, and integrating new concepts based upon novice and novel experience. Boris Dugandzie and Dino Dogan were two people who exposed me to a culture and country that I knew vey little about. Because of them, Croatia is now on my travel destination bucket list. Their attendance helped me find a different kind of pronation and supination between two Croatians, who have little need to reach forwards or upwards with their arms and hands. Ron demonstrates the -ation, between the floor and the thorax between two Croatians, who struggle to find it.

Posted October 4, 2018 at 2:27PM

Regardless if you are a patient, a course attendee, a guest lecturer, or going there for consultation, when you enter the doors of The Cantrell Center for Physical Therapy, Sports Medicine and Wellness, you are family. The entire staff were engaging and enlightening.  All of the course attendees accommodated my needs to embed the center of our orientation, the orientation for autonomics, and the conduit of zones, i.e.  the foramen  magnum and the vertebral foramen of the atlas, in organized tri-planar revolving movement. They helped me teach future attendees that will appreciate the needs to embrace laterality, asymmetry and sensory integration for cervical function. The content of this course reflected the attendees willingness to consider the reasoning for the neck to revolve, as well as the reasoning to restore appropriate universal tension provided or placed on the neck and its contents. There was a wonderful example of a left Side Bend positioned cranium in class that was so willing to allow me to demonstrate re-positioning and re-patterning techniques with it. Courtney Stearn DPT owns this cranium and she and her cranium, cervical spine and cortex were anatomical gifts to all of us.  Her personality and behavior made the first day a complete day of enjoyment and learning. Thank you Courtney! Sitting to the right of Courtney was Amy Brown DPT who owned a cranium and neck that reflected right torsion through the sphenoid. She also contributed so much to the second day by allowing me to discuss her testing outcomes and her technique demonstration.  She could not have been in a better place or in a better time for this presenter.  Thank you Amy, we are all grateful for your attendance and willingness to share your head and neck.   

Course participation, by everyone, and I mean everyone, was awesome.  So thank you for making this weekend a very special one for me.   I can still see and hear Tassie Cantrell PT putting out strawberries and blueberries, putting furniture away afterwards, smiling ALL the time and answering questions on when she and her facility will be putting on another PRI course, and asking questions about O on A and A on O.

Lola Rosenbaum DPT thank you for being my “sphenoid” and Leah Whipple DPT thank you for being my “shift”.  And finally, Skip George DC, PRC, thanks for being there, and mentoring me, and guiding me, and listening to me, and assisting me, and putting up with my metaphoric satire, and for loving me.  

Posted September 19, 2018 at 7:22PM
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Last

Products

CD Bundles
Non-manual Techniques
Manual Techniques DVD
Manual Techniques
Illustrations
PRIVY
PRI Video for You